Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2000 MB
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filler up last night and MPG was 27 . While on freeway I made the reset. Would this be the right way of doing adjustment?

How much Miles Per Gallon does your car make ?

Mine:
8 cyl.
MAF - orig.?
Fuel Filter - orig.?
Air Flter - 600 miles old
Spark plgs - 60k old
Engine oil - 1200 miles old

:D

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hey, Sport. Everything I've heard is that the console display is notoriously inaccurate. It is probably best thought of as a reference guide for your car only. For example you do a regular trip and see the display at the end, like when you get to work. Them do the drive without traffic and see the comparison. I do a 36 mile drive with some regularity and in mine much seems to depend on the starting mileage that it picks.

However, if you really want to confirm actual mileage, you should use the tried and true calculator method. :) When I go on long trips I actually get better mileage than the computer reports.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Ditto to Gregs210. The next time you fill up, re-set your trip odometer to zreo. Presuming you have been driving in your normal fashion, at the next fill up simply divide the miles recorded on the trip odo by the number of gallons you add when the pump kicks itself off and do not round off any of the numbers. Also, don't forget we are not supposed to top off the tank. It's hard to argue that is not an accurate determination.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
i don't think it matters that much which brand you use as long as it is one of the main brand gas stations and you use only premium. personally i have used only bp premium since bp appeared where i lived a few years ago, it has worked fine and that's why i keep using it (i do the fuel line cleaning with bg44k once a year though). i mostly do city driving and i usually get around 320-330 miles per tank before the yellow light low fuel warning comes on, so i'm thinking i can go close to 400 miles per tank. but this weekend i did close to 1000 miles highway trip, and i did get very close to 600 miles per tank driving 75-85 mph. the wind could have helped me a little bit also.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,468 Posts
I'm also surprised at the so-called 'top-tier' gasoline list. I've seen here in SoCal the same physical delivery truck coming out of the ARCO refinery (not a top-tier supplier), drove to a United filling station to deliver fuel and then on to the 76 filling station to also deliver fuel there. I'm sure if I took the time to follow the truck, I would probably have been able to add more names to the list.

So the logo on the filling station make it a top-tier gasoline and make it worth 20c/gallon extra? :eek::eek:

So understandably I'm rather skeptical about the so-called 'top-tier' claims.

·
Registered
2000 MB
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Shell premium gas , as I've mentioned above, made my car reach the 27 MPG. My car never did that. Always at 24 MPG. I know, the gauge is unreliable but psych. wise
it made me feel good. LOL ! I will try it again when my gas goes empty and see if it does it again.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
haha, highly doubt the shell gasoline is the cause of you getting better gas mileage than usual. maybe strong wind pushing you on the highway??? :Dhave you lost a lot of weight lately?:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Shell adds ethanol to their gas here so I'm surprised that it improved your MPG over whatever else you were using.

·
Registered
2000 MB
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MM,
I heard ethanol is good but it has higher octane, over 100, is it not? Will a higher octane hurt the mb engine?

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
MM,
I heard ethanol is good but it has higher octane, over 100, is it not? Will a higher octane hurt the mb engine?
I think that's true but the less MPG is supposedly due to the lower BTUs that it produces as it burns. I don't think ethanol will damage your MB engine, but as long as I have the option to avoid it I plan to. Chevron, at least in this area, never adopted that "additive".

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
higher octane won't hurt your engine, but 100 octane doesn't mean better gas mileage since ethanol has about 2/3 of energy of gasoline, so 1.5 gallon of ethanol replaces 1 gallon of gasoline. and no, ethanol is not good.

·
Registered
1997 mercedes e420
142 Posts
shell gas

up in Canada shell does not add ethanol to there premium v power gas, it is up to 10 percent in all mid and reg. gas, mmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
"Top tier" depends on the amount of detergents. That has nothing to do with gasoline performance.
In CA we have so many anti-pollutants in the gas, that it barely burns.
The only car, that we have with trip computer is ML55. Most of the time the computer shows 2 mpg below actual fill up. On last trip, when I was pushing the truck in heavy wind and freeway traffic, the computer show 9 mpg. The fill up proved it to be 14.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The Shell premium gas , as I've mentioned above, made my car reach the 27 MPG. My car never did that. Always at 24 MPG. I know, the gauge is unreliable but psych. wise
it made me feel good. LOL ! I will try it again when my gas goes empty and see if it does it again.
+1

I have seen some vehicles that will perform differently depending on the gas that they are filled with. This included brand as well as the octane rating of the gas.

Some years ago Shell was one of the gasolines that gave the worse performance. However, for a while now, my observaton is that the Shell brand provides better cleaning as well as engine performance, when compared to some of the local competitors. I don't have any hard numbers to share though.

Furthermore, for years now, I have found that 10% Ethanol gasoline can help to increase engine performance. This is only with 10% ethanol gas that has an octane rating of 94. To be more specific, with all other variables held constant, this gas gave better gas mileage and engine performance than any other brand of gas including Cheveron 94.

Hence, I am not concerned about 10% ethanol gas giving poorer performance. My biggest concern has more to do with what harm it can bring to my vehicle fuel system. For years I was satisfied with the 10% gasoline product, until one time when it caused my vehicles to stalled and prevented re-startup. And after that incident, I can smell gas fumes around the engine bay. I was able to rectified that problem after changing the rubber O-rings. The O-rings had increased in diameter.

·
Registered
1990 500SE
447 Posts
Ethanol

up in Canada shell does not add ethanol to there premium v power gas, it is up to 10 percent in all mid and reg. gas, mmmmmmmmmmm
FYI

I just read in the news today that the Canadian Gov't. just passed legislation that all fuels sold in Canada must have at least 5 % ethanol by year 2010.

·
Registered
2000 MB
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Brazil is running on ethanol and I do hope that they are telling the real truth about it's effectivity. Here in the States, I believe the use of ethanol will take some more time for experiments and testing, just because maybe of the fear for law suits.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts