Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
8,058 Posts
Damn, that paint is so shiny and reflective I have a hard time distinguishing your car.
Great job!!

·
Registered
1974 450SL (US), 2005 SLK200 (UK)
1,109 Posts
Nice - please keep posting pictures so I can drool over my keyboard. Andy

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
2,060 Posts
Funny, I just got some of that stuff for my white GLK, which had impossible-to-wash-off black water stains on it. The BWW took it off effortlessly.

·
Registered
06'E350 wgn,05'E320 CDI,04'E320 wgn,85'300CD,67'230SL
434 Posts
I have a triple-black 67 230SL. I've been using Zymol's 'Carbon' wax process. It's very good, but that CG's Black shine looks much deeper. I'll have to try it.
I had mine stripped to bare metal 25 years ago, gel coat primed to allow blocking very smooth and straight, then refinished in modern Mercedes black with clear-coat (same color code).

What are the steps to the Car Guy's process to get those results?

·
Registered
1987 560 SL; 2004 E320 4Matic Wagon
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have a triple-black 67 230SL. I've been using Zymol's 'Carbon' wax process. It's very good, but that CG's Black shine looks much deeper. I'll have to try it.
I had mine stripped to bare metal 25 years ago, gel coat primed to allow blocking very smooth and straight, then refinished in modern Mercedes black with clear-coat (same color code).

What are the steps to the Car Guy's process to get those results?
they rec CG Slick Finish Cleaner Wax first and then Black. Of course, it would depend on what you are start with in terms of the condition of the paint. This application was simply over the top of a two year old Meguiars Carnuba that I had prepped with a Mequiars Polish.

as a general FYI the trunk paint was beginning to show some minor fade issues. This product dealt with that issue unlike any other.

The car is garaged full time and never driven in the rain.

btw... congrats on your gorgeous classic!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is that the Pearl Black in 1987? Did you remove the pin stripes?
I must admit I do not know the term used by MB for the original paint color.

When I bought the car someone had, at some point in its life, painted on pin strips. In fact, I had inquired here in the forum about them and the consensus was this was some after market addition as sometimes and sometimes not the dealership would apply their own pin striping but it did not come with stripes from the factory. I had them removed as best we could by a good local body shop. When the sun hits it just right you can still see the remnants.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
31,364 Posts
Does that stuff remove paint chips and minor door dings? :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does that stuff remove paint chips and minor door dings? :)
lol.... as a matter of fact the biggest paint issue I have are two spots on the trunk lid area where the hardtop made its impression while being put on/taken off. I have had them looked at and there is no fix other than to repaint. I may bite the bullet with a first class paint job in the future but as the man said... "the car is only original once".

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
12,088 Posts
Is that the Pearl Black in 1987? Did you remove the pin stripes?
That is the standard MB black. I believe the peal black is metallic. When I worked at Mercedes in the late 80's it was pretty obvious that MB had the richest black of all the car companies. Then in the 90's I happened to come across a Lexus, looking very much like a Mercedes. I realized that Lexus stole everything form Mercedes including the black paint.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
8,058 Posts
That is the standard MB black. I believe the peal black is metallic. When I worked at Mercedes in the late 80's it was pretty obvious that MB had the richest black of all the car companies. Then in the 90's I happened to come across a Lexus, looking very much like a Mercedes. I realized that Lexus stole everything form Mercedes including the black paint.
My Lexus LX470 SUV does have a beautiful black paint job. When I get more OCD about it, I might try Chemical Guys.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
31,364 Posts
lol.... as a matter of fact the biggest paint issue I have are two spots on the trunk lid area where the hardtop made its impression while being put on/taken off. I have had them looked at and there is no fix other than to repaint. I may bite the bullet with a first class paint job in the future but as the man said... "the car is only original once".
I was asking for The PIG.

I need some majik in a can.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,645 Posts
MB code 040 Swartz. You'd think black is black, but I did some touch ups on my black 560SL using Duplicolor Universal Black and the colour difference is obvious.

·
Registered
06'E350 wgn,05'E320 CDI,04'E320 wgn,85'300CD,67'230SL
434 Posts
Doesn't the newer formula for MB's 040 black color include a clearcoat?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts