Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
C230 Kompressor 1999, W202 100K
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 C230 Kompressor (W202), 100K on it, and as of recent I noticed a change when the car starts on cold. For a 2-3 seconds it feels like it starts on 2 cylinders, looks like it won't make it but it starts. I haven't notice any problems while driving.
I googled around and some suggested replacing the fuel filter. I would like to replace it by myself. Need to know the exact location, tools needed, etc. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Fuel Filter

You can search this site and find some threads with pictures but here is the outline... The Fuel Filter is located in the vicinity of the right rear axle, under a plastic cover. The Filters are available online from AutohausAZ. The tools are a #2 screw driver (If you have the same stock clamps I do) and I think you may need some small metric sockets for the cover(getting old & can't remember). The trick is knowing to DEPRESSURIZE the system BEFORE removing the Filter. There is a fuse block in the trunk under the cover on the right side looking in. You can either pull the fuse, or the green relay and start the car and run it till it dies. This will keep you from being sprayed with fuel. You will still want to be prepared with a tray or short bucket to catch the gas when you pull the filter. Have some rags handy for your hands. The filter has a directional arrow on it as will the old one. Pay attention to how the old one comes out. Check your hoses while you are in there there are a few and they are all custom to these cars. You may want to do a recon run before you replace the filter. Go out today and pull the cover and evaluate your hoses first. You can do it but spare the smoking a Camel till you are all through.:D

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

C as in 220

P.S. Your shaky start is more likely an MAF, Coil, Wires, Plugs or something else. (My 2c)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cjshade,

thank you very much for your time and effort to reply to my question. I think you told me everything I need to know to get the job done.

All the best to you!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I have the same problem and guess what, the fuel filter is not the problem, however change it anyways as I found some performance increase when I did.

Someone told me the fuel accumulator or check valve might be the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Marko,
thank you for letting me know. You are right, it could have been a number of issues. Well, I guess I have to start from something and the fuel filter has been due for a while anyways. But good to know, I'll keep in mind your suggestion, too.
Thank you, Marko, I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
When you order a fuel filter, get a set of fuel line pinchers too and use them. Open the gas cap for additional help lowering the pressure. I found the cover was difficult to remove, so I approached from the back of the car instead of the side of the car and it was much easier.

Try to do this in the shade on a cool car and on a windy day to dissipate the fumes. No matter what, you are going to have at least some fuel spilled. Try to have friend nearby with a fire extinguisher in his hands just in case. You can't be too safe and things can flare up faster than you think with gas fumes (personal experience here).

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
1,271 Posts
I have a '99 C230 Kompressor (W202), 100K on it, and as of recent I noticed a change when the car starts on cold. For a 2-3 seconds it feels like it starts on 2 cylinders, looks like it won't make it but it starts. I haven't notice any problems while driving.
I googled around and some suggested replacing the fuel filter. I would like to replace it by myself. Need to know the exact location, tools needed, etc. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Thank you.
Located at Right, Rear.
See picture. Remove black plastic cover hiding the Fuel Filter
in 2nd picture you will clearly see the big metallic fuel filter.
Replace Fuel Filter and install two new, small, worm clamps.
NOTE THE DIRECTION OF THE FUEL FLOW.
Take a Sharpie Marker and MARK the direction of the fuel flow
Take Sharpie Marker and BEFORE you remove the old Fuel Filter
write onto the New FF the Flow Direction.
This will come in very handy later on.

Good Luck and don't forget to update your Maintenance Log Book.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts