Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
The problem is bushings, lower control arm, and sway bar. I cranked the tires up to 30/2 and gave up on Michelins. I love the Bridgestone Turanzas, road force balancing, and of course the steering damper. The 92-95 had the "vib" issues only on some cars in 95, they lowered the car and changed spring rate, no one complains after that. Mb did a lot under warranty, it never really fixed it, I have just reduced it.
I have never heard of the rear wheel bushings my dealer replaced a lot of other stuff and their statement is "its the car".

·
Registered
92 500 sel
21 Posts
Shaking steering wheel

I had the same issue vibration between 42 and 55 mph. My control arm bushings were shot. Replaced them and the vibration is gone even with 20" wheels.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have had the same problem on my 1992 500SEL. But I think its mainly tyres. They are Turanza ER30 in 235/60R16, load rating 100W. I am a huge bridgestone fan, but I was disappointed that when I took the car to have the wheels balanced most of the tyres are visibly significantly out of round. (rims are perfect). I think this may be because I had driven only about 2km from home to the tyre shop after the car had stood overnight. I guess the tyres had "deformed" from standing.

I am planning to have a look at the steering damper and lower control arm bushings though. Just a bit busy at the moment with a rear suspension overhaul on my W116 and a distributor overhaul on the R107 and the fact that my 1st child is expected to be born within the next few days. Perhaps whilst the kid keeps me awake it will be a chance to work on cars......

Ryan in South Africa

21 - 23 of 23 Posts