Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer replaced my motor mounts and transmission mounts as a result of an accident a few months ago.

Before they changed these mounts my car would shake when I shut it off... not much, just while the engine was shutting down.

My car still does this... do all C230's do this? Or did my dealer just TELL me that they changed my mounts and really didn't but instead pocketed the money from the insurance co.??

Also I notice that my shifter moves/shakes/vibrates over bumps and sometimes while braking hard it will move. I don't remember it doing this before the crash.

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
FWIW, and I am just one data point, I don't experience and noticable shaking when shutting down. It may be a question of degree though. The 4 cylinder can "shake" I guess a bit more than other engines, but nothing that makes me think there is a problem (and you know from my posts I can be pretty picky!) . The fact you see your shifter wobbling makes me wonder if they put the new ones on correct and tight (assuming they put them on). I may have seen it move once when when going over a deep rut, but that is out of the ordinary. You should be able to look under there and see if they look new or not. Check the rubber for graying and crazing. If it is nice and black without crazing, it is most likely new. You might also check the torque of the bolts.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I am really picky too... obviously... lol

the shaking isnt anything bad at all... just a noticeable... dealer and indy have never said anything about it... so

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Looks like the shaking is a normal thing as on ALL the C230K W202's I drove gave that "wobble" as it shuts down. If you open up the hood and turn off the key you will see the engine go briefly back and forth, usually twice to the left/right.

Seems normal...just the little beast of an engine going to sleep. :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
It's normal, most car's do that.
I think it's because the pistons slow down so there's more time to move the car in one direction, on higher rev's these movements counteract eachother.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have never been in a car that does that... but I will take it as normal... I just asked a guy at work and his W202 4-cyl does the same thing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Shaking on shutdown maybe becomes from a faulty two maze flywheel.
Have you noticed any cranking or a light hesitation only just above idle by moving the accelerator slightly (randomly in traffic)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts