Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1996 S500 coupe
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always had this bad shaking while in "D" .. worse than a 1986 Honda Civic [:D] it was embarrassing for a MB actually

changed everything incl. fuel distributor to no avail, tested EHA, fuel pressure, changed timing chain (thought it was stretched), plug wires (damn expensive), nothing fixed it

reading the archives, people talked about passenger side motor mounts, so what the heck, changed it yesterday and issue is 85% resolved. (15% due to old driver's side mount I guess)

Changing it was easy, took 15 min, and it was $100 Cdn from the dealer

prior to taking it out, my mechanic put a pry bar there and shook the engine and said the mount is fine.. I aksed him to change it anyway.. get this.. the old one coming out did not look ripped or cracked in anyway, it actually looked pretty good, but I guess rubber ages and hardens - the difference is unbelievable.

if you have shaking just change the mounts, start w/ the passenger side one first

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,198 Posts
The motor mounts on these engines are fluid filled. After a while, they loose thier "stuff". When it happens, the engine sounds horrible.

Change the other one. You will be happy with the results.

·
Registered
W124, W210, W212
16 Posts
Did you feel the floor and steering wheel were vibrating while accelerate? Canada is left hand drive?

·
Registered
'95 E420
106 Posts
snik - 3/6/2005 7:53 AM

reading the archives, people talked about passenger side motor mounts, so what the heck, changed it yesterday and issue is 85% resolved. (15% due to old driver's side mount I guess)

Changing it was easy, took 15 min, and it was $100 Cdn from the dealer
DUUUUDE, how did you do it in 15 minutes? if you could give some pointers, etc, i would appreciate it.

·
Registered
1994 E320
1,729 Posts
Moner,
The one on the passenger side of the engine is pretty well exposed. It's a matter of supporting the engine on a "crocadile jack" (as they are called in Jordan [:D]), unbolting and bolting. It's the driver's side one that's a real b**ch to get in and out.

Shady

·
Registered
1994 E320
1,729 Posts
Wow I'm a veteran now [:D]
Let's see:
Bought my first Benz, a red 1978 123 200, in 1991, on the same day I got my driver's license [8)]. That was the first car I ever owned.
I traded that for a silver 1973 116 350 SE, which I traded back for the very same 200 a week later (stranger things have happened [:D])
Then I owned a couple of 115 200's, both 1975, one white and one blue. Then there was the yellow 1977 123 200, and then a green 1982 123 200. And then there was the venerable 1964 190, which I owned for a year, along with a VW Beetle [:eek:)]
And now my beloved 124. Next move: Add either a 300 TE or a 560 SEL (when I can afford it [V])

Shady

·
Registered
'95 E420
106 Posts
Six_wheeler - 3/7/2005 2:26 PM

Wow I'm a veteran now [:D]
Let's see:
Bought my first Benz, a red 1978 123 200, in 1991, on the same day I got my driver's license [8)]. That was the first car I ever owned.
I traded that for a silver 1973 116 350 SE, which I traded back for the very same 200 a week later (stranger things have happened [:D])
Then I owned a couple of 115 200's, both 1975, one white and one blue. Then there was the yellow 1977 123 200, and then a green 1982 123 200. And then there was the venerable 1964 190, which I owned for a year, along with a VW Beetle [:eek:)]
And now my beloved 124. Next move: Add either a 300 TE or a 560 SEL (when I can afford it [V])

Shady
Shady-

first of all, congradulations on your "upgrade" in BenzWorld Status.

second, the 300E is a Six cylinder? am i guessing correctly? i am trying to picture in my brain, as i am typing this, what my engine compartment looks like. since i have the E420, i will assume the motor mount swap will be a little differnt, and a tad more complicated. i got excited when SNIK said it only took you 15 minutes to change the mount out because my local mercedes repair shop quoted me $800 to change both mounts. OUCH!, that stung.

so, did you lift the engine from the top, with what we call in the U.S. a Cherry Picker (god knows why!) or from underneath the engine?

i dont think i am quite ready for the swap, but it will need to be done, and if i can save $800, all the greater the motivation.

[:D]

·
Registered
2006 S500 AMG Wifes Rig Hillbilly Girl 02 ML320
2,332 Posts
Not sure if this applys to the V8? I bought a 90 300E which has those symtoms! Engine vibes when in drive. [:(!][:(!]Hope I never have to replace them in my E420 cuz they look to be a real bugger!

Smokie

·
Registered
1994 E320
1,729 Posts
I guess it's a bit more complicated with the V8.
Yes, the 300E is a straight-six.
The mounts themselves are quite cheap. All you have to do is put the jack under the oil pan, making sure to put a block of wood between the jack and the pan, and then only slightly (and very carefully) pump up the jack to just support the engine. After you unbolt the mount, carefully pump up the jack a little bit more so you can get the old mount out from under the mounting arm and slip the new one in place. The rest is in reverse order.

Shady

·
Registered
1996 S500 coupe
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yup thanks to everyone who suggested mounts in previous posts.

I changed the driver's one too... about 8 minutes is my record :)

I had access to a hoist and a tranny jack.

I hoisted the car up, supported the engine with the transmission jack, unbolted the top and bottom bolts, raise the tranny jack a bit, popped the old mount out, & replaced w/ new one... reversed procedure.

the old one looked perfect w/ no rips or visible damage, it looked just as good as new, but it had been squeeshed, and it was shorter than the new one when put beside one another

world of difference

if you havent done it, go do it, this should be mandatory like the headlight mods :)

oh the funny thing is the dealer wanted 3 hrs labour to do both mounts .. hahaha!!!! I could park the car at the shop, take a cab home, go shave and shower, take a girl out for a night around town, kiss her good night, go get some coffee and come back to the shop, wash my car, wax it and then do the mounts and that wont take 3 hrs [:p]

·
Registered
1989 300SL
127 Posts
Shady, what are the 115s like to drive compared to the 123 and the 124? I have had both 123s and 124s and the idea has crossed my mind to try a 114/115. The only thing stopping me is that there is no T version...

My view, the 123 is a more supple ride than the 124 and feels even better put together. The 124 is much more modern and feels like a contemporary car by comparison to the 123 which seems like a classic.

let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1994 E320
1,729 Posts
Hi,

The 115 is cushy - very cushy, compared to the 124 and even the 123. But it doesn't handle as well, though it feels adequately secure compared to the automobiles of the era (I also tried my hand with a few Opels and Japanese cars of the 70s.) The car is pretty refined, though, and feels very solid. And it's quite roomy, especially in the back, but the dashboard is very old-fashioned and spartan. A friend of mine had one with a gearshift liver on the steering column, and it was a really quirky car to drive, but just as easy to handle as a floor-mounted stick!
Those cars were very popular in Jordan back in the 70s and 80s, and remained so well into the 1990s, with their prices sometimes matching those of much later cars. You can still find cabbies in Amman who swear by them. They have become part of the popular culture.

Shady

·
Registered
1989 300SL
127 Posts
Shady,

just as I thought, it looks like a true classic car: simple, elegant and with a great ride (and dubious roadholding to match!). I agree with what you say about the dashboard, its not very good looking, I would have expected more wood from Mercedes.

Anyways, I think for now the idea of a 114/5 is just a dream, need to resave the money I lost on my 124 first [:(!]

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
my car is doing that... a lot more today than ever. where can i get the mounts? can a car noob ( ive never odne any mods of any kinds to a car ) do this? how much will both the mounts cost?

·
Registered
1996 S500 coupe
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
get the mounts from the dealer

they are $100 cdn ea.

you can get them cheaper else where I am sure, just dont know where

1 - 20 of 25 Posts