Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1991 w126 420SEL, 1986 w126 Euro 560SEC (option 822), 2000 E55, 2003 E55, 2003 SL55
512 Posts
Taken last weekend at the Port Rd drags ...

IMG_6502 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
They look great. The whole damn car looks great. Someday I will find an AMG that I like or create one that I like. Would love more to make one that I can romp on. Won't feel as bad. My euro is not the right machine to start mods on.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Wow.

That whole setup just rocks. Kudos.

·
Registered
2003 E500 Avantgarde
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking good
Did you do any runs?
Yes .. and the poor old thing was painfully slow !! So much so that on the first run I thought there was something wrong !! But there wasn`t.
Its just not a car suited to 200m sprints with 1 wheel drive and 2.24`s.
Had the races been over 2000m I would have beat everything there !!
As a comparison my other car (Volvo 740 turbo 300hp) has done 200m in 8.75 secs. The Benz`s best time was 10.4 secs .. though to be fair I couldn`t get it to hook up to save myself and had it have it would have been a lot better !!
Fun day out though and the car attracted a lot of attention ..

·
Registered
1987 SEC 560 43,000 miles. Origionally sold in Hong Kong.
141 Posts
Cool - are those Simmons wheels still available on the market ? Where did you get them?

·
Registered
2003 E500 Avantgarde
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool - are those Simmons wheels still available on the market ? Where did you get them?
They were on the car when I bought it .. they were a major attraction ..
The car was cool enough at the price, $NZ4k worth of wheels (without the tyres even !) really made it worthwhile !!
Simmons are closed. I believe there were some serious family health issues that made keeping the business open significantly less important. There is an outfit called Tempe Tyres in Sydney I believe making knock offs but not badged Simmons ..
Oh !! And thanks for the positive comments chaps .. first long trip / big test tomorrow. Any guesses on how far it will go on 120 litres of fuel ??

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
2,056 Posts
Beautiful!!!! Are there many C126's down under?

Mike

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
1,963 Posts
Yes .. and the poor old thing was painfully slow !! So much so that on the first run I thought there was something wrong !! But there wasn`t.
Are you taking off in first gear?
If you are trying to do sprints in "D" it will feel gutless as
My car has the same ratio diff and engine as yours (the only mod is the lorinser exhaust and a 560 air box) And it is most definately not "painfully slow"
I fact its very quick for the weight and rear end ratio
And im not just being bias ive owned a lot of performance vehicles

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,158 Posts
NICE car. As a rough guide to distance, a full (90l) tank on my 420SE takes me something like 400miles. I havent measured it scientifically, its just that its over 200 miles to get home and it gets there on half a tank. Thats cruising though, 80 - 100 mph most of the way. I'm always really impressed at the 'economy' of such a big car. Book figures between 420's and 500's arent much different mpg wise.

·
Registered
2003 E500 Avantgarde
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Joe .. was starting in 1st but it was lighting up the left rear every time, so off the gas right from the start to regain traction didn`t help the time !!
My other car on boost, with 4.1 FD and an Eaton diff locker really hauls out of the hole and that is likely why I noticed the difference I guess ..
But I agree in essence, it is not a slow car in general terms ..

And regards economy .. I`m going to be stuck at a touch over 60mph. 60mph is the open road speed limit here and the Highway Patrol are everywhere. There is only a small amount of tolerence here for speeding offences, and if you get a ticket for speeding 3 times in any 2 year period you automatically lose your licence. Apparently speed kills, well according to the police .. though its apparent to the rest of us that incompetent drivers kill more .. and as you may figure out from my number plate I don`t enjoy the best of relationships with the local constabulary when it comes to vehicular issues !!

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
1,963 Posts
If you rig up a manual switch to the kick down button and switch it on when you launch the gearbox wont change up if you back of the throttle slightly to stop wheel spin
It will shift to 2nd when you hit the red line though
Just make sure you have the shifter in the 2 position when you flick it off so it wont jump to 3rd prematurely

·
Registered
2003 E500 Avantgarde
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Again guys, thanks for your kind words.
A couple of mentions about the colour. To my knowledge it is the factory colour, whichever it is ???
Looks a little darker in those photos ..

·
Registered
1978 C123 280CE, 1988 500SEC, MY10 W204 C200 CGI
1,380 Posts
Thats real nice. I also heard the simmons remakes that Tempe are supposedly making or have already started making are more expensive than genuine ones.

·
Registered
W126 500 SEL 9/85 W124 E320T Brabus
2,075 Posts
Again guys, thanks for your kind words.
A couple of mentions about the colour. To my knowledge it is the factory colour, whichever it is ???
Looks a little darker in those photos ..
In Germany its called Lapisblau Code 932. You should find the 932H or 932H on the little sheet metal sign on the cooler frame.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts