Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ML 320
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new here...been to several other Benz forums and can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for. I hope you can help. I've got a 2001 ML320. These questions may have been answered somewhere on the forums but I don't see a search feature? Oh well, here we go:

1) Where is the paint color code located at? It's typically on the wheel well, radiator support or door jam, but can't find it anywhere on this thing.

2) How do I remove the spark plug wires? There's a small heatshield on each boot and twisting doesn't seem to make a difference. Does it just pull off? (I didn't want to break the wire)

3) Where is the cabin air filter located at?

4) I've got the 6 CD changer in the trunk (navi equipped radio) but I want to use my MP3 player. I've tried the little FM transmitters but they don't seem to work quite right. Is there an RCA or line level input that I can tap into? I'm not afraid to dig into the harnesses if that's what it takes...

Thanks all!

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
2) You remove the wire by tugging on the metal boots, you can also use a properly sized monkey wrench to help grab a hold of the metal boots and give you some leverage. The rest of the answers I'm not very sure but you can search for them.

·
Registered
ML320/C320 Sprt
4,649 Posts
welcome on board[:)]
Cabin filter is located at under the dash passenger side just under the glove box, unscrew the two phillip screw holding the cover then carefully unplug the 12V power then unsnap the clip holding the filter. once you see it you should be able to figure it out how to change it[;)]

and for the MP3 sorry no answer for that[:(]

·
Registered
2002 ML55K
2,292 Posts
treeman5 - 5/10/2005 10:26 AM
1) Where is the paint color code located at? It's typically on the wheel well, radiator support or door jam, but can't find it anywhere on this thing.
Check between the driver's and passenger's doors on the B pillar. Mine is near the bottom and is a 3 digit code (040 for black). This may help (these are great little pens, by the way):
http://www.autovisuals.com/paintcode.asp

treeman5 - 5/10/2005 10:26 AM
4) I've got the 6 CD changer in the trunk (navi equipped radio) but I want to use my MP3 player. I've tried the little FM transmitters but they don't seem to work quite right. Is there an RCA or line level input that I can tap into? I'm not afraid to dig into the harnesses if that's what it takes...
I'm afraid it's a bit more complicated. I'm still running with a Radio Shack permanent cassette adapter myself (the wire hides quite nicely behind the MCS door). This is on my wishlist, though:
http://store.yahoo.com/logjam/blitzmbauxd2b.html

·
Registered
2001 ML 320
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the great info!!! I think I'll be hanging out here alot more...you guys rock! [:)]

So how did you route the cassette adapter wire? I've got several of them laying around from previous vehicles but I couldn't see any good way of routing it out of the way of the navi screen without getting out my dremel tool and doing some creative notching...

·
Registered
2002 ML55K
2,292 Posts
I liked the Radio Shack model because it had a very thin wire. I first removed the MCS from the dash (can be done with steak knives, but I bought the MCS keys from the dealer). I then cut off the connector on the cassette adapter. With the MCS open I routed the wire out the side trim and down the back, snaking the wire to the passenger footwell. I then soldered the connector back on and ran the wire along the passenger side to my MP3 player under the rear passenger seat (of course, I needed an extension for this - working next to a Radio Shack is very useful!). From the outside I can't even tell that the wire is there.

Here's a link to a useful post with pictures:
http://benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1163992&posts=12&hl=MCS+cassette

·
Registered
2001 ML 320
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, so the trim around the MCS has got some play to it...hehehe. Thanks for the info! I drive 100+ miles a day so switching CD's in the changer gets *very* tedious...

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,156 Posts
I routed my cassette adapter lead through the MCS housing without having to cut the wire. Since I don’t have NAV or the in-dash single CD player, I just removed the blank faceplate cover that sits above the cassette player, and then routed the wire through there, behind the MCS and under the dash (of course this involved pulling the MCS from the dash). The wire is thin enough so that for the ¼ inch where it passes between the faceplate of the cassette player and the back of the MCS screen, it does not interfere with its closing. This also gives me a nice hidden storage compartment behind the MCS screen. If I park in a threatening area, I put my radar detector in there.

- RODNEY

1 - 8 of 8 Posts