Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a customers 2002 E320 sitting here in the shop. I replaced the intrument guage cluster, and have been able to set everything EXCEPT the odometer. It simply reads ------- (dashes) across the screen. Anyone perform this repair ? Know how to get in there and fix it ? Seems like its not through the scanner ? I know the previous model, you did it inside the car, that doesn't seem to work either. HELP ! :confused:

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
It is my understanding that when replacing an instrument cluster only the dealer can reprogram the odometer readings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is my understanding that when replacing an instrument cluster only the dealer can reprogram the odometer readings.

I appreciate the help, but no, this is not true. Any reputable shop, with the proper scan tools (same ones the dealer has) should be able to do it. We are a certified Mercedes Benz Repair facility and in the last 25 years, I have never had this much trouble setting the mileage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
^^ yup thats right. We have done that before. Palo Alto Speedo is a very well known orginization and we are frequent customers.

The problem is, I haven't been able to have my "one shot" . The probelm is between our scanner and its computer. It may be that our software has some sort of issue, or is not functioning properly. I will be taking it over to another shop, with proper scan tools and see if they can help out.

Also, I see your living in the Bay area. My shop is located in San rafael. We have been here for over 25 years and been a member of the BBB honor Roll for the past decade, not to mention many other rewards. We are the shop that RAB often has to call to sk questions. If you would like to allow us to begin servicing any of your Mercedes Benz needs, feel free to visit our website, check us out and give me a call. I can gurantee you will be aw struck with our generosity and up-front honest answers. And unlike MOST dealerships, we are NOT commission based. All our Tech's are working on a Salary, so no need for them to pressure you into any "fix" . Our work does NOT void any warranty, and we do certified shop, allowing us to perform any Extended Warranty service.

Thanks for your replies. I will update you all with the "fix"

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I have a customers 2002 E320 sitting here in the shop. I replaced the intrument guage cluster, and have been able to set everything EXCEPT the odometer. It simply reads ------- (dashes) across the screen. Anyone perform this repair ? Know how to get in there and fix it ? Seems like its not through the scanner ? I know the previous model, you did it inside the car, that doesn't seem to work either. HELP ! :confused:
Do You have a Mercedes Benz Star aka SDS ? or another type of scan tool?

As the Star can program instrument clusters...You can save it from the old cluster also the correct mileage is stored in the EIS control unit

·
Registered
145 Posts
While we are on the subject of odometers....

How is it with the accuracy of the odometer when buying a used MB. Are the odometers capable of being tampered with (set back to lower miles) by some shady operators?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have a 2001 E320 4 Matic.I bought it at the end of October 2007.
When I bought it I had a problem in my cluster with the outside temperature and the clock and asked the Lexus dealer to change the cluster.The car was sent to a reputable Mercedes/ BMW specialty repair shop. I was at the garage when the owner of the place installed my cluster and he told me there was only ------ and he wasn't able to set the odometer. So we went to Silverstar Mercedes in Montreal. (He is VIP there and is accepted anytime right away).They couldn't set the Odometer either. I was told only the 2001 and 2002 were like that...They wrote my mileage on the invoice to prove what milage it had when the odometer was changed.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
While we are on the subject of odometers....

How is it with the accuracy of the odometer when buying a used MB. Are the odometers capable of being tampered with (set back to lower miles) by some shady operators?
Absolutely. With the old dials, there tended to be visible signs of tampering. Now, the tampering is done via computer and leaves no marks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Carfax.com to check odometer milage

QUOTE=Matt L;2775945]Absolutely. With the old dials, there tended to be visible signs of tampering. Now, the tampering is done via computer and leaves no marks.[/QUOTE]

:confused:We'll.... on that note, how can one check the odometer milage on a used car??.... Would something like Carfax.com reveal this (sending in a fee for the service)

With the old cars odometers, one could see the numbers out of alignment as a possible sign of tampering.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Indeed, there is a problem. I don't much trust CarFax for reporting wrecks and such, but at least they do show miles from time to time.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I bought my wagon that the speedometer had been changed at the dealer and it also couldn't be reset.No way to get it done.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Okay folks, I figured it out. I bought a 2001 CL600 with the dashes instead of odometer. After a little research, I found out that the cluster that came with the car had a part number that did not match the car (came from an '03 CL500, which is not compatible with the '01 CL600), which implies that the previous owner tried to replace the cluster, but bought the wrong one. I bought the correct one and the mileage showed up instantly. I had to reprogram it, of course, but it seems the culprit is non-compatibility.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Okay folks, I figured it out. I bought a 2001 CL600 with the dashes instead of odometer. After a little research, I found out that the cluster that came with the car had a part number that did not match the car (came from an '03 CL500, which is not compatible with the '01 CL600), which implies that the previous owner tried to replace the cluster, but bought the wrong one. I bought the correct one and the mileage showed up instantly. I had to reprogram it, of course, but it seems the culprit is non-compatibility.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for the tip.

May I ask how you reprogrammed the cluster?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread but I've dropped a recon engine into a facelift w210. Cluster is showing 125,000km- Dodgy as hell, but apparently SDS can do this, can anyone provide some guidance? Quite new to SDS, just have a ODBII scanner.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread but I've dropped a recon engine into a facelift w210. Cluster is showing 125,000km- Dodgy as hell, but apparently SDS can do this, can anyone provide some guidance? Quite new to SDS, just have a ODBII scanner.
SDS is an expensive piece of equipment and only Mercedes dealers and some independent shops have it.

Also, please update your profile with location info as it is useful info.

Mercedes has different instrument cluster re-program policies for different markets.

For example, only clusters with fewer than 250 miles can be re-programmed for mileage change in the USA, IIRC. That pretty much means only new instrument cluster can be re-programmed. Both HHT (Hand Held Tester) and SDS can be used to re-program as long as the cluster has fewer than 250 miles. For Canada, it is 10 km.

Now there are special shops that can reset used clusters to zero miles (which is probably illegal). That makes the cluster "new" so it can be re-programed again.

1998 and later E Classes (using smart keys) also have the (correct) mileages stored in the ignition system module.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I think carfax could link to DMV database. When the car is registered and smog checked, the odometer reading is also reported. The odometer readings should go up sequentially every 2 years. When carfax sees a negative change in odometer readings, it will flag as odometer tampering.
MB dealer also keeps track of services, logs the odometer reading, puts the info somewhere. Carfax could access that info, too.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I think carfax could link to DMV database. When the car is registered and smog checked, the odometer reading is also reported. The odometer readings should go up sequentially every 2 years. When carfax sees a negative change in odometer readings, it will flag as odometer tampering.
MB dealer also keeps track of services, logs the odometer reading, puts the info somewhere. Carfax could access that info, too.
It is much more likely that someone entered the wrong odometer reading, whether that was the mechanic, or someone at Carfax.

I don't trust Carfax one bit. You can't believe that a car is clean because of them, and you also can't believe that it is a lemon just on their word.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts