Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
CLK200 (W209), R33 Skyline
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a new member to the Forum and was looking for any advice on DIY service and general maintenance for my 2003 CLK200K. I have the car 5 years now and generally have had few problems. I currently have 100K miles on the clock and am displaying Service B due. I have always had the servicing performed at MB. I am now however considering maintenance myself. I have a decent range of knowledge and tools but was looking for peace of mind you could say.
I have recently been having issues also with a missfire on cylinder 4 and I changed the coils and plugs. There was no improvement and therefore MB performed a compression test to reveal I have low compression on this cylinder.
Any advice would be great.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Hi - welcome to the forum. Always nice to meet new members here..:)

Ref a DIY service, if you can change your spark plugs you can certainly manage an oil change.

At the top of each forum there are a few threads called 'stickies'. These will be kept there continuously, as they are considered to be general interest.

Take a look through this thread, as it covers a number of views on oil changing on a CLK.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/1333531-successful-diy-oil-change.html

All other items on a routine service A/B are inspections. You may have to remove wheels to examine your brake pads, etc, but that is no problem. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure why a cylinder with low compression will misfire, unless it is so bad that it is oiling up..:confused: I'll think about that one...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi - welcome to the forum. Always nice to meet new members here..:)

Ref a DIY service, if you can change your spark plugs you can certainly manage an oil change.

At the top of each forum there are a few threads called 'stickies'. These will be kept there continuously, as they are considered to be general interest.

Take a look through this thread, as it covers a number of views on oil changing on a CLK.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/1333531-successful-diy-oil-change.html

All other items on a routine service A/B are inspections. You may have to remove wheels to examine your brake pads, etc, but that is no problem. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure why a cylinder with low compression will misfire, unless it is so bad that it is oiling up..:confused: I'll think about that one...
thanks for the welcome response.
will have a look at that thread now. re the missfire, the mechanic reckons it could be sticky valve. I have changed filters, coils, plugs, brakes etc but head off is a big one??
wondering about the likes of the need to change brake fluid etc at service intervals also?
cheers.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
wondering about the likes of the need to change brake fluid etc at service intervals also?
cheers.
My MB service manual says 'check every 2 years'. It doesn't say how to check - apart from seeing if the level is OK in the reservoir.

By coincidence , there is a thread currently running here, where a guy was charged for a brake fluid change on a B service that he hadn't asked for. There are some interesting observations..

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/general-mercedes-benz/1554152-b-service-invoice.html

ref 'sticking valve' - didn't there used to an 'upper cylinder lubricant' that went in the fuel, for this ailment? Maybe, with FI that is now old hat!

·
Registered
12-CLS63/04-CLK55 AMG/03-CLK320 Conv SOLD/01-ML430 Good Riddance/01 E320 wagon RIP
191 Posts
Regarding low compression in one cylinder I would hope for it being carbon buildup on a valve causing it to not fully close. Various fuel additives are mentioned in these forums to help with that although I have never used any of them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, I was told by the mechanic that with my ''driving style'':eek: the build up of carbon is very unlikeley and he also recommended one of the fuel treatment additives. Not sure if I can name it on the site so we will forget about that 1 but I put a litre of it in with 3/4 a tank anyhow and this morning (almost a week later) sure enough she misfired.
AARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH:crybaby2:
he had said also he raised the tolerance of the sensor to try to trick ECU into thinking all is well and stop it giving engine management warning and jerking like crazy.
worked for almost a week though:(

back to square 1:mad:

·
Registered
12-CLS63/04-CLK55 AMG/03-CLK320 Conv SOLD/01-ML430 Good Riddance/01 E320 wagon RIP
191 Posts
It would seem your misfire would have to be electrical as low compression isn't going to get better on it's own. I'm not even sure why low compression would be associated to a misfire.

Did you change the wires? As a test I would swap the wires from the cylinder with a misfire to one that doesn't. My wife's E320 had an intermittent misfire and it was just one bad plug wire. After swapping with another cylinder the misfire code moved with it. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
That's a good idea. ^^^^

WIS suggests for misfiring - if you have codes P0300 - P0312 stored, several possibilities. The easiest to deal with are:

a) check air filter
b) change crankshaft position sensor

The others are more time-consuming.

c) contaminated injection valves
d) faulty fuel metering pump
e) contaminated fuel lines

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
only code repetadly appearing is p0304.

have the report in work will post the details tomorrow, pretty sure the cables were checked though and its not electrical. was going to replace them a couple of months ago but was quoted 120 for the cabels. wasnt sure it was definately going to do the trick so didnt bother.

i presume as its on cylinder 4 the swap would be with cylinder 1?

·
Registered
191 Posts
You want to swap the entire plug wire meaning unplug it from the coil pack and plug. The wires don't know about firing order as they are only different by length. You just need to pick a wire that is long enough for you to swap with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
of course im with you now....was only thinking of unplugging from the coil.....ill defo give that a shot at the weekend.
will keep you posted. still looking for the diagnostic report too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
finally found the invoice

details are
no power in vehicle
intermite misfire in engine + engine light on dash
found several faults, misfiring cylinder no 4 and 1
misfire in cylinder no 2, removed all coils and plugs no traces of running:confused:
misfires along enamel usually mean cap and coil ok
checked wiring between cylinder no 4 and ecu seems ok
performed mechanical compression test on each cylinder
cylinder 1 = 190psi
cylinder 2 = 185psi
cylinder 3 = 180psi
cylinder 4 = 130psi:eek:
cylinder 4 has low compression when ecu picks this up it shuts off via a knock sensor
could be sticky valve or worn bottom end
reprog ecu + desensitised cylinder shut off making it less sensitive to misfires
may need head off for further faults:crybaby2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts