Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I followed the manual on resetting the notification by pressing r but it doesn't seem to do anything. Any help?

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
There's a lot more to do than just pressing "R." Doors must be closed, key in a certain position for a certain amount of time, etc. Do a search here or better yet, follow the FSS reset directions in your manual.

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,842 Posts
Older cars require starting in sleep mode. All light and displays off before you turn the key

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
The R button will reset the trip odometer, I do that at every fill-up. But be mindful which screen you have selected on the instrument cluster because it will also reset other things. I re-set the trip odo and by accident also reset the miles since last reset (the last B service).

·
Registered
2000 E320
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I to accidently reset the trip odometer....

following the procedures in the manual doesn't help me reset the service A message. I press R for several seconds but nothing happens, it just goes back to the odometer.

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport
392 Posts
I tried to reset mine too been trying for a while now, nothing. I also looked in he manual for FSS, found on page 112. Dont know what I'm doing wrong???????

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
You still don't understand. sokoloff and Kajtek1 both told you there are other steps involved. I have never reset mine so do not know what those are. You said you have the owner's manual, doesn't it tell you in there somewhere?

The proper method has been posted here several times and by now it might have made it's way into the stickys. I'll have a look and post a link if I can find it.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Found this, hope it helps

Bear in mind what has already been posted here. I found this snippet on one thread when I searched for fss reset and limited to the W210 forum.

pretty simple (at least on the 2000 E320)
switch ignition on
press up or down scroll keys on steering wheel until
the service A or B and the wrenches appear

then hold down the reset key or R (on left side of cluster)
for at least 4 seconds
it will then prompt you to press R again to reset service interval
then hold down R again for several seconds

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport
392 Posts
Bear in mind what has already been posted here. I found this snippet on one thread when I searched for fss reset and limited to the W210 forum.

switch ignition on

for at least 4 seconds
That was it! YES!!!! I tried so many different methods.

Thank you

·
Registered
2000 E320
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

switch ignition on

for at least 4 seconds
I tried your steps but didn't work for me. I also have a 2000 E320. I have the car on and the door closed when I attempt it. I hold down the R key and after about 10 seconds it just goes back to the mileage screen.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I don't know what to tell you Jagster, it worked for mike430sport.

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,842 Posts
Will there be an issue if it doesn't get reset?
You think you will remember that in another 13,000 miles?
The FSS is not the preset timer, but suppose there is a sensor that test the oil quality adjusting the intervals depends on driving style.
I always doubt the senor existence since our ML (same engines) had the same intervals towing or not. The 3500 lb travel trailer or 5500 lb boat should make a difference on oil wear out?
This way or the other -you better find the way to reset it.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Will there be an issue if it doesn't get reset?
Not to my knowledge. My FSS is useless because I have to add 1 quart of oil every 2000 miles or so. Every time I do that adds 1000 miles to when next service is due. As of now it says I have 7200 miles due until the next A service but I have driven almost 7000 since the last B. So what I do is have services every 10,000 miles, it's easy enough to remember that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I found a video on YouTube that was very helpful in resetting the service light.

search: Mercedes E320 service interval reset service
posted by: vehix411

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I think I found the YouTube video to which you referred but the guy said that is for a 1997 E320. For one thing that car has a "0" button whereas our post-facelifts have a "R" in the same place. If these 2 buttons perform the same functions I guess those steps are worth a try.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts