Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'05 E320 CDI Black/Black
623 Posts
What would be the best way to obtain service records for my MB prior to my owning it. I bought it from a local non MB dealer. Thanks.
Call your local MB dealer and ask VMI for your car by providing VIN #.
beware though craze of Privacy Act on it's highest nowadays , therefore - be nice & by all means not demanding.
I almost gave Up getting same info hit a wall of privacy act...but luckily very last dealer in my area gave me read out of VMI over the phone so I could write it down myself ( request for FAX or e-mail was denied).

·
Registered
2005 E500
4 Posts
When I bought my (used) E500, I went to my local MB dealer with proof of ownership. (title, registration, bill of sale, etc.) I asked them to print out the service history for the car. (this assumes the prior owner(s) had the car serviced at a dealership, but at a minimum this will give you the list of warranty work performed)

They were more than happy to do so. Took less than 15 minutes. They even went over the service records with me on the spot to see if it was due for anything.

The dealer can also tell you if the factory recalls and technical service bulletins have been addressed.

·
Registered
'05 E320 CDI Black/Black
623 Posts

·
Registered
'05 E320 CDI Black/Black
623 Posts
It's all boils down to simple human factor I guess.
some guys at MB dealers are normal 7 nice ...some just flat out a$$holes.
Info on maintenance of my E320 CDI this nice dude from MB dealer actually showed more then just repairs under warranty he was able to "see" what was done by some certified INDIE shop as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow thank you all for the information. The nearest dealer is about 40 miles away but it will be worth the trip and I'll be real nice and have proof of ownership. Thanks again.

·
Registered
'05 E320 CDI Black/Black
623 Posts
Up to you , but as I stated.
when I was trying to do same thing as you planning - nice & have all the proving ownership doc's and drove just about 40 mi to one of "leading area MB dealer" - I hit wall of indifference and no cooperation.... but next day a simple PHONE call to the other dealer's service department got me all the VMI and more INFO.
.... save on gas - just call them.

·
Registered
2004 E500 4Matic Estate
197 Posts
Just picked up a E500 4Matic myself, dealer was more than happy to share VMI, but I was not allowed to keep it.

He informed that I can view it everytime I come in for service.

Just had my SBC replaced and there was no history of a brake flush in the VMI but it was covered anyway

·
Registered
2007 E350 4Matic
51 Posts
Let me know what they actually send you.

I got the same call earlier this week. 3 days later I got a typed list PDF of just the warranty work that was done emailed to me. Not really helpful. I was able to get more from the dealer and the local shop.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let me know what they actually send you.

I got the same call earlier this week. 3 days later I got a typed list PDF of just the warranty work that was done emailed to me. Not really helpful. I was able to get more from the dealer and the local shop.
Yeh that's all I got too. Really disappointing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts