Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before i leave for chicago in the next month, i want to take my car for a last service here.

i have almost 152000 miles . the last oil changes were at 148K, 142K and 138K. the car had been not driven at the 138K mile mark for abt a yr .
Do you think i should get another Oil job now and what weight should i get. for about 80 bucks this place, Bruce strauss autocare, in costamesa will do oil/filter belts and top off whatever needs to be.

the other thing i need checked is my problem with the center 2 air ducts not giving out any air at all, hot or cold or economy setting. on my previous post about this problem someone mentioned vacuum pumps? i tried myself removing the lower console passengers side, but i have no idea what to do from there on to figure this out. any recommendations

also my fuel gauge gives me the yellow arrow just after the half marking, at that point, i usually have drivne about 325 miles on the tank, and can put back about 20 gallons. so the light going on is accurate but the needle is way off???
is this a simple fix or should i just leave it well alone??

so for a car with this many miles what other components should i have looked at ... sparkplugs? i dont know... the car is driving well, except i noticed about a 17mpg to 15mpg drop in MPG in the past 6months or so?

another thing is with brakes. those last 3 times ive been to service at the milage above, on the recommendations portion of my reciept they have noted 30percent rear brake pad left. is it recommeneded to get rotors done too at that time. i did have the fronts done 10000 miles ago, and i have no complaints with breaking. what do u guys think?

i know this is a long message but i just want to make sure everything is tip top when i leave because i dont know of any good mercs mechanics out theere, and this car is gonna be my daily driver during medical internship and lord knows i wont have any time for problems . thanks so much

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
Oil changes should be every 3 to 5 K miles. Use a synthetic oil, since for the most part they last longer, and hold up better.

Not sure about your center consul air problem.

Your rear brakes, Figure out of 100% brake pads, you have 30% left, that's 70% gone. Not a big problem, it's up to you if you wish to change them now.

The fuel guage problem could be a bad connection to the fuel rehostat on the top of the gas tank, OOOORRRR could be a bad connection IN the tank it self.

When was the last time you had a total tune up? If it's been a long long time, just have everything checked out by your trusted mechanic. You should be OK. If you want do a tune up for the heck of it, it won't hurt anything.

Have your hoses checked as well, and change your antifreeze. And lastly, do a transmition fluid/filter change as well, preventive maintanace is the best way of keeping your car from braking down.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what exactly defines a complete "tune up"

thanks

·
Registered
1990 300SE
1,466 Posts
Dizzy, rotor, spark plugs (sometimes wires too), oil and filter change, air filter, transmission filter, coolant flush, fuel filter, brake pads, thermostat (just to be safe), and some other odds and ends. Give or take depending on need.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,110 Posts
Vdubpower,

I'll just address the fuel guage issue and let other more knowledgeable than me handle the other issues.

vdubpower - 5/8/2005 11:01 PM

also my fuel gauge gives me the yellow arrow just after the half marking, at that point, i usually have drivne about 325 miles on the tank, and can put back about 20 gallons. so the light going on is accurate but the needle is way off???
is this a simple fix or should i just leave it well alone??
I just took my instrument cluster apart to fix the clock, add chrome rings and white face plates.
In order to put the white face plates on, I had to remove all the instrument needles and I discovered the hard way that it is difficult to put them back on correctly.

From what you are writing, it appears that the low fuel warning light is showing correctly (comes on when you have 325 miles on the tank), but your guage is showing incorrectly. I'd say leave it alone and use the trip counter and the low fuel warning to tell you when to stop for gas.
I broke the sleeve on the back of the fuel guage needle when I tried to put it back on. Messy job, had to solder the part back together.

·
Registered
90 420SEL
44 Posts
Regarding weight of oil,with a high mileage engine, you should probably go with a heavier oil,than when new.It depends on your climate,but in the south something like a 15W40 or straight 40 weight should do. Here in the north we use 5w30 in winter, 10W30 in summer.Although I think I'll try some 10W40 in my 420 next service. Uses a bit of oil when pushed.I'd do the rear brakes.Pads are alot cheaper than new rotors and unless your rotors are cracked or warped, they should get you through for awhile.If they have enough meat on them,I'd get them resurfaced,but not necessary. I usually do my own and just rough them up with emery paper a bit,if they are not too bad.Sparkplugs are cheap and usually responsible for bad mileage.Check cap and rotor. I sand corrosion off once in awhile between replacements.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
found out my sparks have 15000 on them, need changing or not?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts