Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1991 500SL
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum (I have been digging through the archives to find answers to most of my problems, but now I have a few questions I need to just ask directly)

I just inherited a 1991 500SL (33,000 miles), and want to make sure I find a good mechanic to get the car back up and running

The car spent > 1 year in storage, but after a bit of fuel injector cleaner, fresh gas and methyl-hydrate, it is running smoothly (I had a rough idle, not hot starting, and stalling problem from old fuel)...

I have a couple questions:
1) While trying to burn out the old gas, I noticed that I had no power steering, and the reservoir was empty... In a pinch I added some prestone fluid to get home. I don't have a owners manual, but I noticed the default MB fluid is pink (I added clear). Is mixing fluids a big problem? Should I drain and refill or just top back up with the proper fluid. Also there is a leak, near the pump, it looks like its coming from a line but I'm not positive. So now I need a repair shop recommendation...

2) Where to go.....
The car is currently in Squamish BC, any chance a reader of this forum has experience with a mechanic in Squamish who can look at the power steering leak? If not I am confident a power steering fluid fill will get me back to Vancouver.
I work near the broadway/cambie area. Can anyone recommend a good service location in the area? In addition to the power steering problem, I am looking to get a tune up before I go to airscare (probably need to replace the plugs and oil/fuel filters, and whatever else could go wrong after long terms storage)....

3) Where to get parts. I am looking to pick up some air filters, power steering fluid etc.. any recommendations on shops for mercedes parts. (would Lordco likely carry everything I need?)

Thanks for your help,
Brad C

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
Hi Brad C, and welcome aboard the R129 forum.

As for the power steering fluid, I have mixed the red and clear before in the past and never had any problems, however it is recommended to go with MB Power steering fluid p/n 000 989 8803, or an approved Dexron III ATF. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1342223-r129-service-sheet-m-b-factory.html found in the blue stickies.

The leak could be origionating from one of the PS lines, or it could be leaking from the PS pump itself. If you are unable to identify the source of the leak, I would recommend that you bring it to a trustable shop to have it checked out. As for your owner's manual, they are downloadable for free in PDF format from the blue stickies as well. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/2391320-post1.html.

For a detailed list of tune-up parts for your 91 SL500 and sources for tune-up parts, please refer to this link http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1399700-1990-1995-500sl-m119-tune-up.html which also can be found in the blue stickies.

Also, may I ask that you please update your Benzworld member profile including the model-year of your vehicle and geographic location? This information will enable fellow members to more accuratley assist with your future technical questions.

Good luck and keep us posted! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Lexus LX470 06, Mercedes SL500 98 Sport pkg Panorama roof, Audi RS4 07
70 Posts
Hi Brad. I live in Coquitlam, so can only suggest you to start with the MB dealerships in North Vancouver or Burnaby. They are OK for parts (though expensive), service I can't recommend based on my personal experience.

I have not found a good indie in the area yet, as the result has been doing all maintenance myself. Would have been nice to have somebody for more complex work. So if you find somebody, please update the thread here.

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts