Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 C230K Sport Coupe 6-speed! And now a 2011 GLK 350 4Matic in Palladium Silver!
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car is due for a service B. In the service booklet that comes with the car, they give you an outline including a procedure number (i.e.: 0101 oil, filter, lube...) Does anyone have a breakdown of the procedures. I am doing the servicing myself seeing that I have a shop at my disposal, labor is free and parts are dirt cheap, I would like to do the service like they outline in the books..

·
Registered
2005 C230K Sport Coupe 6-speed! And now a 2011 GLK 350 4Matic in Palladium Silver!
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From passed experience, someone has to know something. Help a brotha out.

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
its basically an oil and filter change and a inspection of the vehicle, top off fluids, adjust tire pressure.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand that much. It's just that my car came with a service booklet outlining the Service A and Service B requirements. All it does is give you a general idea of what is to be done, but it doesn't elaborate. An example would be checking the windshield wipers and washers. I just changed the wipers whe I got the car six months ago, so no problem there. But when checking the washer system, do you simply try it, or, are you supposed to check the hoses and such. I was gonna look at it, but you can only see about three feet of it, the rest is hidden below near the reservoir or in the hood. Does the dealer check something like that?

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
As I work for a Benz indie in China (Im english by the way) I can give you some idea.
OK start inside the car and check the following for operation and function, make notes of any faults.
Instrument cluster, windows incl sunroof, interior lighting, seats and sun blind at rear, windscreen washers and wipers/headlamp washers if fitted. Command operation, CD, Tape, Sys,Telephone, seat belts, doors operation.

Move to the engine bay. Change engine oil and filter, check all levels and specially check the brake fluid for contamination, check the coolant is strong enough and not too dilute. Inspect washer bottle and pipes for leaks, check all coolant hoses. check the whole engine for oil and water leaks. Inspect the spark plugs. At this stage we would connect the star diagnostic equipment and do a complete system test and print out the results, whilst this is connected do a CO test and adjust as required (depends on model) some cars are adjustable and some not.

Move to brakes. Remove all wheels and measure the discs (all four) This measurement tells us A, if the disc needs replacment and B, if the calliper is working OK. Check the brake pads for wear and the sensors/wiring for damage, check the brake flexi hoses look at the suspension for damage or leaks. When refitting wheels check tyres for wear and damage and ballance front wheels. Once wheels are on check the wheel bearings for play and check tyre pressures.

Lift the car. (engine running prior to lifting the car). Check all steering and suspension joints for play. check the engine and transmission/diff for leaks (pay particular attention to the area where the electronics enter the transmission)

This is the basic B service. But now we would check the list of modifications and do any as indicated, you could ask your dealer about this and they would need to know your vin no and mileage. Finaly road test the car, after road test check the engine and transmission oil levels again. During the road test pay particular attention to transmission shift points using the rev counter as a bench mark.

This list is not comprehensive and is off the top of my head, Im in management and dont need to do servicing nowadays.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much. Already did the oil change last week. Putting it on the lift this weekend to check everything else. With all the driving I do, I guess the road test has been done millionfold. Again, thank you for your help.

·
Registered
2003 C240
46 Posts
Whosdis said:
Thank you very much. Already did the oil change last week. Putting it on the lift this weekend to check everything else. With all the driving I do, I guess the road test has been done millionfold. Again, thank you for your help.
You are smart, you saved yourself a ton of cash.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts