Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I got a sob story for you today. And i need some help. Here goes :)

My mother bought a 2010 GL350 Diesel last year. She always wanted a Mercedes and she finally had the means to get one. We all love the car, the interior is gorgeous, the ride is nice and stable at speed, the torque from the diesel is outstanding.

My one problem. The A and B service. Our first service was quite a shock, 600$ if I remember correctly. At first I thought it was a one time thing since it is the first time it came in and I assumed they need to check the car more thoroughly to make sure everything is fine. We swallowed it.

Then came 30 000KM. We left the car. Next day we came back. Service B bill.... 1200$! I was quite confused. What in the hell can cost 1200$ in a scheduled maintenance service? I scanned the bill. 500$ just in inflated mechanic hours for one. Does it really take an hour for a mechanic to fill in the Bluetec stuff? Other stuff I don't exactly remember except for the diesel filter being replaced every 30 000km for some mysterious reason, but the bottom line is the service inflated to a staggering 1200$.

I demanded to see the service price sheets for all the cars. To my dismay the Bluetec is the most expensive to service. Then I thought Ok... Maybe it is because diesel services are that much more rarer in intervals compared to the Gas engine ones. So they recuperated cost by making it more expensive than needed. Like if the B class had services every 8000km for around 300$ a pop, that would explain the extreme cost. Well.... Not really. The B class for example, if remember correctly, has a service interval longer than the GL. So there goes my theory.

Now I came to accept that in Canada we get royally screwed in many automotive areas. So to the point of my post. How much is the service cost in the states? Or even in and around The great nation of Canada. Because I got this suspicion that The french Canadians are making their own prices.

I would not mind crossing the border to Vermont or New York or even further ( It is a diesel after all ) to get the same service but much cheaper. Since our Canadian dollar is doing well it would be worth while.

Thanks for any help you may give. I feel kind of frustrated at Benz Canada right now. You can post your sob stories on here so you can make me feel better too :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On a side note. I just took the GL from my mom to drive to downtown. Man this is so serene! I drive a manual Toyota pickup and the GL is like a spa escape. Especially if you have chill on Sirius on :)

I'm writing with my phone if you're wondering.

·
Registered
GL320 CDI - 2008, '04 Touareg V10 TDI, '85 Unimog U1700, '83 Mitsubishi 4WD turbodiesel PU
525 Posts
Service charges vary all over the place. Typical labor charges in the US are about $120/hr. Ridiculous! One hour in French Canada to add Blutec fluid? There is some serious padding of the bill for the unwary going on.
In Canada it MAY be difficult to get the Mobil 1 ESP formula 5W30 that is required and it may be worthwhile to take a trip to a dealer in the States to get the oil changed even though dealer prices here are high also for the oil. [expect $11us/qt times 9 qts].
It REALLY does pay to shop and get quotes. Be sure to get US quotes also.:)
Normal, routine stuff like brake fluid changes (every 2 yrs), oil changes - provided you have the correct oil, Blutec add (get the AdBlu fluid from a truck stop or a VW dealer). wiper fluid, etc are usually within the capability of a good independent - not Mercedes - shop. Find one you can trust and get quotes from them also. They will probably NOT be able to diagnose check engine lights etc because the computer systems to read the codes correctly are not widely available because of cost.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply.

Yes I will do that. I'm going to call different dealers around the area and beyond.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts