Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just had MB service on the phone asking me to take out a service plan.

He tells me the transmission fluid is due to be replaced at my next service this will be service number three. Car says A service is required but my indicator is out of sync with the car after it was reset after just eight months because of it sitting in a field before i bought it. Thats by the by though.

My question is this the fixed cost for two services including all consumables is £29.99 per month so just under £360 for the year Over two years or you can pay up front just under £720 for the two services. Now considering i was quoted £197 for the transmission oil alone added to the £299 fixed cost of a service this seems at first glance a good deal. What is the experience of uk owners who use this plan? I have till Jan 4 to decide what to do.

I can't afford to change cars as i would like to do because quite frankly i only chose this car over a citroen C4 Picasso because it was £1k less expensive when i bought it and they gave me a better trade in value on my old car. Also, i chose the B because of the fixed price service....LOL what a joke they say on the adverts one thing then you read the small print and realize its not fixed but a minimum price..... Really if MB looked at who buys this model and the A Class model they would be better off. I will sure as hell never go near MB again The on going costs are far to high. They pitch a car at the family market but expect executive money for all the on going costs.

So to recap, Service plan, is it worth it?

Transmission oil change at three years is this right?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2007 B200 (traded), 2013 Veloster, 2009 Escape
261 Posts
Hi, just had MB service on the phone asking me to take out a service plan.

He tells me the transmission fluid is due to be replaced at my next service this will be service number three. Car says A service is required but my indicator is out of sync with the car after it was reset after just eight months because of it sitting in a field before i bought it. Thats by the by though.

My question is this the fixed cost for two services including all consumables is £29.99 per month so just under £360 for the year Over two years or you can pay up front just under £720 for the two services. Now considering i was quoted £197 for the transmission oil alone added to the £299 fixed cost of a service this seems at first glance a good deal. What is the experience of uk owners who use this plan? I have till Jan 4 to decide what to do.

I can't afford to change cars as i would like to do because quite frankly i only chose this car over a citroen C4 Picasso because it was £1k less expensive when i bought it and they gave me a better trade in value on my old car. Also, i chose the B because of the fixed price service....LOL what a joke they say on the adverts one thing then you read the small print and realize its not fixed but a minimum price..... Really if MB looked at who buys this model and the A Class model they would be better off. I will sure as hell never go near MB again The on going costs are far to high. They pitch a car at the family market but expect executive money for all the on going costs.

So to recap, Service plan, is it worth it?

Transmission oil change at three years is this right?

Thanks guys.
If you are the kind of person - like me- that goes to the main dealer for all service, it sounds like a good deal. You seem to be getting a small discount - 10-15% plus the conveneince of monthly payments to spread the pain.

Mine is due for a C service any time now and I suspect it will run me close to $1000 with the tranny oil, spark plugs, etc etc. Not looking forward to that. I wish MB Canada had a similar deal.

I have a service plan on my Ford Escape that is through Ford Canada - it was a promo that came with the car but would cost me about the same as what you are quoting (they said a "$1500 value"....whatever that means).

The nice thing is that I can get it serviced at any Ford dealer in Canada or the US including their "Fast Lane" shops and everything is covered including brake pads, wiper blades, and other non warranty wear items for 3 years.

The ONLY drawback is that they want me in on the schedule and not a day or kilometre before..but at least they follow the severe service schedule.

And, like you, I highly doubt I will buy another MB product given their rediculous service costs. Unfortuantely in Canada there isn't much like the B class out there but that is changing fast. Of course, my wife wants a Fiat 500 Abarth when they are launched here in the spring anyway.....

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
Probably lots, you are in the wrong forum.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I decided to go for the fixed two year plan offered. On the whole it seemed okay. I do however have a word of warning for those of you who expect the dealer to carry out everything that the service book recomends.

I fully expected to have my Transmission oil changed on service four even though my overall mileage was not up to the recommended 37,000 miles (60,000 KM). I had my car picked up and delivered back to me as normal. It was only after reading the invoice that I noticed the Transmission oil had not been changed. I phoned the dealer and was reasured that it wasn't nessasary. I beleive however that this part of my service was not carried out because I was on a service plan and it would have been less profetable for the dealer to carry out this as part of the service.

I have since been contacted by an agent to sell me another contract and after I told him of the issue I faced agreed with me that the service should have been carried out. He told me he would call back, Guess what, He never did. In the end he phoned me a couple of weeks later I expected him to say Have a complementary Transmission oil change at the next service. No that wasn't what he phoned for, he phoned to try and sell me another plan. He had forgotten all about it.

I will never go back to main dealer service while I have to use the particular dealer I use now. I have a local independent who will look after me from now on at a fraction of the cost. Lost me MBUK I will never buy another Merc. Ever. Yes I will run my B till its dead but I may change it for something alot leas complicated if the fancy takes me, who knows.

MB service is the worst I have ever known. :surrender:

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
Service plans are usually a scam. When we bought a Ford recently, the dealer tried to sell us a service plan for 120,000 km. It cost $1600.

Well the oil change services for this car are $60 and happen every 16,000 km. You do the math!

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,488 Posts
MB service is the worst I have ever known. ....
For me, your quote is close to mine..
....."MB service is the most expensive that I have ever known".

They're used to S and AMG Class customers ....and company presidents,.
......not the rif-raf working class who actually question some of their #'s.

·
Registered
'05 B200 (W245)
391 Posts
For me, your quote is close to mine..
....."MB service is the most expensive that I have ever known".

They're used to S and AMG Class customers ....and company presidents,.
......not the rif-raf working class who actually question some of their #'s.
I am sorry, but I have to disagree. The hourly rate for the workshop is the highest one I have ever seen, but to be honest my B200 has lower annual maintenance and repair costs than my old Peugeot 106 used to have (both full dealer maintained). I had this smallest Peugeot in the most basic version, hence no power windows, no airco, no nothing, and a mighty powerful 1.0 litre petrol engine, and still over a timespan of almost 10 years I hit an average of about EUR 750 of maintenance and repair costs per annum.
So far, my B200 has lower costs (knock wood).

In addition, I have NEVER encountered such a GREAT service as with my Mercedes. It is my first Mercedes, and given not only my great joy of riding it but also the superb MB service, I suspect this will not be my last Mercedes!
My local Mercedes-Benz dealer obviously also asks the standard fees for the workshop, but they so often do some small things for free that the average hourly fee they charge me actually also seems lower than the one my Peugeot dealer used to ask me.

Arjen.

·
Registered
W123 '83 200, W210 '98 E200K, W212 '13 E350
1,842 Posts
Arjen,

I'm very happy for you. You seem to have found a dealer that may not be cheap, but has high customer service standards. I'd love to have a dealer that does the work right and appreceates my business.

My only two experiences (M-B Queensway Toronto area) left me feeling like they didn't really care about a few issues I brought up, just did an oil change which was overfilled (even the owner's manual warns against it), and when they changed the p/w motor forgot to plug back the mirror turn signal led. Thankfully the access panel in the door saved me from having to go back.

I brought all of this up and told them to treat all customers the same. I literally told the Service manager and reps. that I feel if I had brought in an E or S-Class they would have probably cared more, which they denied. I had to make them realize I wasn't happy. Getting a Smart car as a loaner didn't help. I'm mostly a nice guy but can be an a$$hole, and gave them worst marks when an automated phone call questionaire came ringing a few days later.

Hopefully it was a wake up call for other people that go there for service, which was my main intention, since I belive people should get what they pay for.

Re: Service plans - yes, most oil changes and routine cheap and easy services are included but they usually find a way to exclude the expensive items.

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
It is apparently fashionable at Benzworld to profusely crap all over dealers, but mine is perfectly fine, like Arjen's. DIY is fine but I don't find paying $250 a year for maintenance at the dealer to be in any way, shape or form to be abusive.

·
Registered
'05 B200 (W245)
391 Posts
DIY is fine but I don't find paying $250 a year for maintenance at the dealer to be in any way, shape or form to be abusive.
Agree. Getting back to the original question by the OP, then you must bear in mind that in order for the plan to be profitable, you MUST pay a little more than what you should statistically spend otherwise.
This is the same for calculating lease amounts, rents, insurance premia, pension plans, etc.
The trick with the maintenance plan is in the statistical part; for a large car dealer organisation the Law of Averages applies, which means that if the plan covers more than three-digit numbers of clients, then the organiser can predict pretty accurately how much the AVERAGE client will spend on maintenance.

Since that average client typically does not have hundreds of cars, your true underlying question is: How risk-averse are you?
If you have some reasonable financial buffer, and if you are willing to take a risk, then by definition it is cheaper to NOT participate in these plans.
Yet, if your financial buffer is small, you're not a handyman, and you cannot handle surprises, then I would advise you to DO participate in a plan like this. If you participate, then DO NOT complain about the fact that you overpay; treat the price markup as your insurance premia for your maintenance costs.

Best,

Arjen.

P.S.: Sorry for the lengthy reply.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
It is apparently fashionable at Benzworld to profusely crap all over dealers, but mine is perfectly fine, like Arjen's. DIY is fine but I don't find paying $250 a year for maintenance at the dealer to be in any way, shape or form to be abusive.
I hope that wasn't meant for me. I don't follow fashion trends unless it suits my taste.

One thing is for sure - you only need a few (one?) bad experiences to mistrust until you're proven wrong. I wish money was the biggest problem...

I did have excellent service at a few dealers, one of them being St. Clair Nissan in Toronto, where the Service Advisor (Peter) actually discussed items with me. Actually, just remembered good experiences with a M-B dealer in Portugal (Caldas da Rainha area) and a Volvo dealer there that gave me a radio code for free (anti-theft) for a family member.

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,488 Posts
It is apparently fashionable at Benzworld to profusely crap all over dealers, but mine is perfectly fine.....
Yes,...I've noticed that many people on car forums do feel that they are being taken for a ride (myself included) by some dealerships while others here(Mike),.. seem to get a fair deal at their MB dealership.

Mike was charged ~ $250 for a service and oil and filter change whereas my eastern dealership charged me $ 370.00 for my first service and they did not change the oil because I just had. It would have been ~ $100.00 more to include the oil and filter change.

I wanted Mobil 1 and they said that the B gets Castol instead. Mobil 1 would cost more....
He told me he was allowed to charge up to 3 hours for it and that's what they did....Many of us do get cheated and we don't go back...and the car forums are the place to vent many car complaints,,...and that's what we usually see.

but remember....

The dealer must love Mike because he's had so many parts changed on his warranty and his extended warranty.

Starter motor ....twice...:eek:
...all doors and hatch ...:eek:
...and glass roof panels
...and headliner
..and steering...:eek: and who knows what else ......fill us in Mike...:thumbsup:

He's practically keeping the dealership in work with his B alone. MB might be suffering but his dealership is getting rich off of him,..I would suspect...

Attachments

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
The stealer comment is directed at whomever uses it here (even me, quoted out of context by Derek, as is his custom).

Bad dealers do suck. But the service at every dealer is not terrible, they are not all out to rip you off. The prices I've paid for service are reasonable and having a working relationship with a dealer does help at other times.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Can't argue with your second paragraph.
Experiences vary for sure.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am sorry, but I have to disagree. The hourly rate for the workshop is the highest one I have ever seen, but to be honest my B200 has lower annual maintenance and repair costs than my old Peugeot 106 used to have (both full dealer maintained). I had this smallest Peugeot in the most basic version, hence no power windows, no airco, no nothing, and a mighty powerful 1.0 litre petrol engine, and still over a timespan of almost 10 years I hit an average of about EUR 750 of maintenance and repair costs per annum.
So far, my B200 has lower costs (knock wood).

In addition, I have NEVER encountered such a GREAT service as with my Mercedes. It is my first Mercedes, and given not only my great joy of riding it but also the superb MB service, I suspect this will not be my last Mercedes!
My local Mercedes-Benz dealer obviously also asks the standard fees for the workshop, but they so often do some small things for free that the average hourly fee they charge me actually also seems lower than the one my Peugeot dealer used to ask me.

Arjen.
Well It is down to the car and the dealer, the first dealer I used was ok in every respect and held the car in its class and treated me and car well. The dealer I am forced to use now is RUBBISH. Also I probably have a friday afternoon car If you know what I mean. With year two repairs and service costing well over 700 UKP. and year three would have been as expensive if they included a repair to the rear wash wipe ( that I never use). Then there were the items replaced under warrenty. So what with one thing and another I am not happy.

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
I hear you, my car has been a drama queen too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts