Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 E320
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,

I bought the car at 133,000 Miles. The oil/filter was changed at 132,000. I would like to know what type of service is up coming on this vehicle? The previous owner appeared to do all the service. There are a few records posted in the owners manual. The car runs great. There is a little delay when the engine is cold with the transmission. Aside from that the engine runs great. I assume that the previous owners kept up on the service.

Again, I would like to know what service would be required for this vehicle?

Michael

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
ternati2000, my 1997 E320 has almost same mileage as yours. first thing i would do is call the mb dealer, give them the vin# and tell them to fax or e-mail you all the records they have on that car. any mb dealership can do that i think. the delay with the transmission when it;s cold i think it;s normal, cuz mine has always done that if it;s cold and i don;t let it warm up. if you let it warm up a little bit when it;s cold it won;t do it. if the transmission fluid/filter has never been changed, that;s the first thing i would do. make sure to tell them to drain the torque converter also. also i would change the fuel filter if it has never been changed. look how dirty the air filter is, and clean the maf sensor with "crc maf cleaner". check also the serpentine belt for any cracks, feel if any of the pulleys is a little loose, especially the water pump one.
and also don;t forget to look at the front of the engine right/passenger side where the timing cover meets with the head gasket if there is any oil leak.
other than that just drive it and don;t worry about it, it;s a great car.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Dealers generally won't give out service records for privacy reasons. They can give out warranty claims and goodwill work, i.e. when the customer is not paying for the repairs. This information is on the VMI / vehicle master inquiry which most dealers will provide at no charge. If the car did not come with a maintenance book buy one at the parts counter at the dealership. That will tell you exactly service is required on the car.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
There have been differing reports from used car buyers on these threads regarding the service histories.

I went to the original dealer who had done all of the A and B services according to the service manual. They were kind enough to give me a print-out of everything they did to the car that the owner had paid for. Prior to that, I obtained the VMI from the dealer from which I bought the car.

I don't think you can safely assume anything about the service history. I'm not from Missouri, but I can still say "Show me".

Good luck!

·
Registered
W210 E300TD
155 Posts
The transmission holds onto gears for longer when cold to help warm the catalyser up more quickly and hence reduce emissions and fuel consumption.

As for servicing, just use fully synthetic oil and change it between 10,000 - 15,000 miles, along with the filter.

Index of /tom.jeffs4/car stuff/merc tech/Assyst

That link contains the Assyst schedule, take from it whatever information you like.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the world of MB ownership!

If there's nothing wrong with it, I'd not worry too much. I always encourage people to do a prepurchase inspection with a good indie familiar with the marque, apparently you didn't because I'm sure there would be at least a few things on it. I'd encourage you to take it for a post-purchase inspection, because there are sure to be some things that need attention. Besides which, you need to find a good indie and this is a great way to do that.

One thing I would suggest as soon as you can schedule it: get the AT fluid and filter changed. While upshifts are slower when cold, that is also a classic symptom of degraded fluid/blocked filter media and for the couple hundred the change will cost you you'll add years to the AT life.

And talk to the dealer, get the maintenance records in person. You may have to visit in person, but do it. If the other fluids haven't been changed in the last couple of years, this is the time to do it (brake fluid, anti-freeze, power steering, differential). Of course they can do all that stuff and probably competitively with a good indie, but ultimately your indie will do the non-standard stuff cheaper.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
bamabytes said:
what is a maf sensor and where is it? just bought a 97 e320 with 58k miles.
Welcome to the forum, Bama.

I think tirona's being a little over-cautious. The Mass Airflow Sensor (MAS, MAF) generally doesn't need to be serviced. Most folks recommend leaving it alone, if it later throws a trouble code you can try cleaning it then.

Also, the I6 seems to have much fewer issues with the MAF than does the V6, so you're in luck there as well.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
3,490 Posts
Parrot of Doom said:
As for servicing, just use fully synthetic oil and change it between 10,000 - 15,000 miles, along with the filter.
The '97 car is not an FSS car. Don't use extended drain intervals of this length, even with synthetic oils. The FSS schedule is applicable from 1998 onwards.

·
Registered
W210 E300TD
155 Posts
10,000 miles is not an extended period for synthetic oil. It is perfectly normal.

I have noticed that many people in the USA (no slur to you sir) seem to treat fully synthetic oil as requiring the same frequency of changes as they do with mineral oil. Some on the shopforum site change it at 5000 miles. This is just a waste of money.

Put Mobil 1 in it, and you won't need to change it below 10,000 miles or 2 years. My car hasn't had a change without more than 10,000 miles on the clock in its entire life, but the engine still performs flawlessly with no blowby whatsoever - and its now at 184,000 imperial miles.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Parrot of Doom said:
10,000 miles is not an extended period for synthetic oil. It is perfectly normal.

I have noticed that many people in the USA (no slur to you sir) seem to treat fully synthetic oil as requiring the same frequency of changes as they do with mineral oil. Some on the shopforum site change it at 5000 miles. This is just a waste of money.

Put Mobil 1 in it, and you won't need to change it below 10,000 miles or 2 years. My car hasn't had a change without more than 10,000 miles on the clock in its entire life, but the engine still performs flawlessly with no blowby whatsoever - and its now at 184,000 imperial miles.

i only drive 4-5000 miles a year. i've been told both by bmw and MB dealers that i still need to change oil once a year. from what you're saying, i can go 2 yrs. ?? :confused:

·
Registered
2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
3,490 Posts
Parrot of Doom said:
My concern isn't so much around the oil as it is around the filter. I understand that with the FSS cars the filter medium is different and is geared towards longer life. I had thought that part of the original engine sludging complaints with the FSS cars were due to the filter medium not being up to the job of such an extended drain interval.

Parrot of Doom said:
No slur taken. I'm Canadian ;) Personally, I change the synthetic on my 94 C280 every 6 months, which amounts to about 6,000 kms. It gets 80% short trips (under 5 kms) so my worry is about sludge and other nastiness building up in the motor. On my 2000 I just change it every 12,000 kms but that car gets much more regular use.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
ProV1x said:
i only drive 4-5000 miles a year. i've been told both by bmw and MB dealers that i still need to change oil once a year. from what you're saying, i can go 2 yrs. ?? :confused:
My inclination would be to change it at least once a year because of the buildup of contaminants that come from such minor use. If the car doesn't get to heat up properly at regular intervals you'll get all kinds of nastiness building up in the motor.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
jlomon said:
My inclination would be to change it at least once a year because of the buildup of contaminants that come from such minor use. If the car doesn't get to heat up properly at regular intervals you'll get all kinds of nastiness building up in the motor.
I agree, but to a point. If the 4000-5000 miles are nearly all short trips I would definitely change it that often because of the gas leeching into the oil and not being burned off (saying the same thing as jlomon because of the consistantly low engine operating temperatures).

If those are mostly trip/highway miles I would not be as concerned. BUT I'm sure you remember the old adage when using dino oil: 3 months or 3000 miles. I have never followed the 3 month idea primarily because I have always driven about 1000/month on anything I have had anyway, plus I think the number of miles is easier to remember.

·
Registered
W210 E300TD
155 Posts
I do about 12,000 - 15,000 miles per year, and change the oil roughly around those mileages.

Mine is a diesel though, and its very easy to tell when the oil is getting old - the engine becomes noticeably more clattery.

My engine doesn't burn a drop of oil - not one drop, ever. I'll take that as read that its in good condition :)

Never had a problem with sludging. The engine is spotless inside.

·
Registered
W210 E300TD
155 Posts
ProV1x said:
I never trust what dealers tell me. I've got tales that would turn your skin inside out.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Parrot of Doom said:
Never had a problem with sludging. The engine is spotless inside.
The sludging issues were for the M112 V6 and the M113 V8, both gas engines. A class-action suit against MBUSA resulted in extended warranties being issues on certain vehicles. I don't have all the details, but none of the sludging issues affected the diesel. The M112/113 engines don't have the best crankcase ventilation, so are more prone to sludge issues from the get-go.

I don't know, but I would have to wonder if the filter medium used for a diesel oil filter is more heavy duty than that used for a gas engine. I've had the "pleasure" of changing the oil on diesels dozens of times, and the oil is just so much filthier than that found in a gas engine. The filters tend to be larger capacity than on gas engines, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were also more "absorbent" (for lack of a better word).

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Parrot of Doom said:
I never trust what dealers tell me. I've got tales that would turn your skin inside out.

parrot, so are you saying 2 yr OCI is fine..?? :confused:

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
personally i would never wait two years to change the oil, no matter how many miles i have done. actually once a year also sounds too long.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts