Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am i the only one who thinks it's 'unethical' that i cant get a service manual for free?

·
Registered
'14 E350, '07 CLK350, '01 SLK320
1,145 Posts
What makes you think you're entitled to a free manual?

You can subscribe to the electronic manual at alldatadiy.com for something like $14.99 a year or you can buy a copy of the entire WIS off of ebay for $25. That's remarkably cheap considering the enormous amount of data you will have access to.

There's nothing "unethical" about charging a reasonable price for something that took a lot of people a long time to make.

·
Premium Member
1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss)
2,886 Posts
What makes you think you're entitled to a free manual?

You can subscribe to the electronic manual at alldatadiy.com for something like $14.99 a year or you can buy a copy of the entire WIS off of ebay for $25. That's remarkably cheap considering the enormous amount of data you will have access to.

There's nothing "unethical" about charging a reasonable price for something that took a lot of people a long time to make.

$15 per year? My god - those prices are through the roof! That's just a little over 0.04 cents per day...

Seriously though - you buy a car that cost in the range of US$ 1 Billion to engineer and you are looking for a free copy of the instructions? :1poke:

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,982 Posts
I got a few parts to one, and what parts are you looking for in a service manual?

Martin

·
Registered
1998 S500
446 Posts
I would rather get free gas than a free service manual while we're asking!

This is an absurd statement (wanting a free service manual) and clearly not related to reality :eek:

·
Registered
Current 1992 - 500SEL, W124 - 1989 230E (sold)
1,387 Posts
Well i guess NZBENZ will also have a quiet laugh but is it just me who thinks having to pay for hookers is unethical :D seriously.... what would be unethical is for MB to stop making parts for W140 then we would be screwed! (btw not long to go!!!!) Go to Ebay and look for service manual or as everybody says alldatadiy, you can print it all and cancel the service after one year :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I obviously touched a nerve with that one... I im well aware of the 'Billion Dollars' worth of engineering that went into the car, which i why i bought the damn car in the first place.... and then joined this forum of likeminded people who appreciate the marvel of engineering that is the W140 S Class, i am also aware that during the lifetime of the car i will GLADLY pay for GENUINE MERCEDES parts where necessary, and further more will gladly repair and service the car myself were possible, not because i'm a cheapskate but because it gives me great satisfaction to EXPERIENCE the beauty of MB engineering!!!, so why is it an insult (by the look of things) to you guys that i think, considering these points i still have to pay for the service manual?! Is it not a credit to MB that i want to keep MY car in mint condition, instead of just taking it to the MB dealer whenever a problem arises? Regardless, MB will continue to make money off the car many many years after it left the factory. If you think what I am saying is absurd then fine, but to insult my intelligence with statements about hookers and suggestions of being disconnected from reality, is just rude. Blast your eyes man!

·
Registered
'14 E350, '07 CLK350, '01 SLK320
1,145 Posts
OK. . . So you're willing to pay for genuine M-B parts but unwilling to pay for the genuie M-B service manual? I'm terribly confused now. :confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Look man, all Im saying is this, why should i pay for the s/manual when i've paid for the car and am paying for genuine parts. Its not like i want the blueprints!

If you buy the car, are you entitled to know how to fix it? if the answer is no, then sure, case closed, you should consider yourself lucky they took your money for the pleasure, so what makes one think they have any right to a free service manual or any kind of documentation besides a receipt?! Is that your point?

·
Registered
S600L
541 Posts
I purchased the genuine manual off Ebay sometime last year (a reprint) and it has everything in it ! I have posted the details in the past but nobody seems interested ? However they keep asking this same question you keep asking ? Why do they not take the details and obtain one themselves ???? It's totally beyond me !

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
I obviously touched a nerve with that one... I im well aware of the 'Billion Dollars' worth of engineering that went into the car, which i why i bought the damn car in the first place.... and then joined this forum of likeminded people who appreciate the marvel of engineering that is the W140 S Class, i am also aware that during the lifetime of the car i will GLADLY pay for GENUINE MERCEDES parts where necessary, and further more will gladly repair and service the car myself were possible, not because i'm a cheapskate but because it gives me great satisfaction to EXPERIENCE the beauty of MB engineering!!!, so why is it an insult (by the look of things) to you guys that i think, considering these points i still have to pay for the service manual?! Is it not a credit to MB that i want to keep MY car in mint condition, instead of just taking it to the MB dealer whenever a problem arises? Regardless, MB will continue to make money off the car many many years after it left the factory. If you think what I am saying is absurd then fine, but to insult my intelligence with statements about hookers and suggestions of being disconnected from reality, is just rude. Blast your eyes man!
forgive my indolent friends.. (I use that term losely) there is no recognised manual for this car..We would like one.. but we have to make do with what we know and what we learn..The S 500 & S 600 did not earn MB a lot of money.. so we have to pay ..:crybaby2:

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Eh.. I missed that one.. wheres that from ????

I purchased the genuine manual off Ebay sometime last year (a reprint) and it has everything in it ! I have posted the details in the past but nobody seems interested ? However they keep asking this same question you keep asking ? Why do they not take the details and obtain one themselves ???? It's totally beyond me !

get it out here..., PLEASE>>>

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
Look man, all Im saying is this, why should i pay for the s/manual when i've paid for the car and am paying for genuine parts. Its not like i want the blueprints!

If you buy the car, are you entitled to know how to fix it? if the answer is no, then sure, case closed, you should consider yourself lucky they took your money for the pleasure, so what makes one think they have any right to a free service manual or any kind of documentation besides a receipt?! Is that your point?
I've never known anything other than the basic operating manual to be free your entitled to know anything you want but just like any book that teaches you anything you have to pay for it mainly for two reasons:

1. Those that wrote the manual for MB cost money in terms of wages etc and as a result those who produce it or the company it's produced for control the intellectual property and are entitled to charge to recoup the inputs and make profits

2. Mainly because they can and what are you or anyone else for that matter going to do about it? Not buy it? Ok then fine they'll laugh you out of the building and tell you not to let the door hit you on the way out.

Things that are worth doing and that are woth something to others are worth doing for money.

·
Registered
Current 1992 - 500SEL, W124 - 1989 230E (sold)
1,387 Posts
WHY ON EARTH are we discussing issue of paying $20-25 on ebay for the manual while you are ok to pay MB prices of $3000 for throttle actuator or $800 for bunch of cables....

·
Premium Member
1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss)
2,886 Posts
... and here's me thinking this thread wouldn't last for more than 2 or 3 posts...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WHY ON EARTH are we discussing issue of paying $20-25 on ebay for the manual while you are ok to pay MB prices of $3000 for throttle actuator or $800 for bunch of cables....
Because we REALLY dont have a choice when it comes to parts do we... only YOU can use the throttle actuator or whatever part in YOUR car, ONLY once! but books are different, like this site where knowledge is shared freely to all who want it. Just recently i needed help with the simplest of problems (dead battery-locked trunk) and stupidly i called the dealer, big surpise, they they gave me the most expensive solution without actually giving me any solution, but the answer was in here and it took me all of 20mins to solve the problem, what did that cost me... nuthin, and one day someone else might have the same problem and i can return the favour FREE OF CHARGE!!!

Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state lives at the expense of everyone.

·
Registered
S600L
541 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Model Year 1992
Model 140
Introduction into service
Covers models
140.032 (300SE)
140.042 (400SE)
140.051 (500SEL)
140.057 (600SEL)
140.134 (300SD)
Book states :-
until the latest repair instructions are available on microfiche , this introduction Manual can be used by Mercedes-Benz service personnel to familiarize themselves with important technical details to perform maintenance and repairs on model 140 vehicles.
Basically everything is in the book (its500+ pages) and shortly after this was 'issued' everything became microfiched so I believe this is the only one you can get on paper ;)

I also have the same book in German - however this is NOT a reprint and is the real mccoy !
Title :-
PKW - Typenreihe 140
Einfuhrungsschrift fur den Kundendienst
Bestell-Nr. 6510 1082 00

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts