Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

i have just bought a slk230 '98 with only 26,000 miles on it. Problem is today i noticed the service indicator changed from reading 4100 miles left to 28 days left..

why would it do this.. i prefer 4100 mile left to be there!

also - does a 98 model have a service indicator that changes due to oil quality?

cheers ian

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
I believe it is looking at both mileage and time. It defaults to miles remaining until it get to a point where the time is more critical (30 days remaining maybe?). The manual for my 2002 says this:

"Depending on operating conditions throughout the year, the next service is calculated and displayed in days or distance remaining."

If you don't drive the car that often it will need service based on the time expiring rather than the 10,000 miles. You wouldn't want to wait 3 years for service if you only drove it 3000 miles a year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but i have only done 3000 miles since the last service and its been 7 months.

maybe the garage never reset? is there a way to tell?

·
Registered
22 Posts
as far i know (at least in italy) pre 00 models doesnt have sophisticated service check remaining time as next models (post 2000).
In pre 00 You can reset it yourself.
I can tell you the procedure.

·
Registered
2006 SLK-55 AMG
737 Posts
If the service is coming up on time and it has only been 7 months, it is a reasonable assumption that it perhaps was not reset at the time of the previous service, or if that service was approximatly 11 months ago. This is something to check immediatly after getting an A or B service, when the indicator should read 10000 miles remaining if it has just been reset. Now, you are just guessing.

Given that Spring has just sprung and you are likely to be doing a lot of driving this time of the year, I would just mark it as a learning experience, get an A service (basicly oil and filter), and be sure the maintenance counter gets reset this time. New oil nevers hurts anything but the wallet slightly, and you DO have at least 7 months and 3000 miles on the old oil, so the effort will not be entirely wasted. [:)]

FWIW, after purchasing our '98 with 29K miles on it, I soon changed ALL of the major fluids to be sure that I knew what was going on with the car, including brake fluid, antifreeze, & differential. Now I have a known date to use for future service of these fluids, and yes, I did check the service indicator and reset it; the mechanic had not done so.

·
Registered
99 SLK230 SPORT
380 Posts
wait how do I see it?!

99 slk230

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
SLKRoadster99 - 5/2/2005 3:13 PM

wait how do I see it?!

99 slk230
From my manual:

"The message is displayed for approximately 10 seconds when turning the key in steering lock to position 2, or while driving when reaching the service warning threshold. It can be canceled manually by pressing button (1)."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts