Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 E500 Sport; 2003 ML350 Inspiration; 2005 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

The other day "Service E due in 30 days" came up, seemed early, but OK - the car probably knows better. When I pulled up the maintenance, I noticed the read out said "Days+30" and "5407 miles" remaining . Now there is NO way I'm going to drive over 5,000 miles in 30 days, so I'm a bit confused why this popped up with 5K to go. Also, my daily commute is probably 80% highway, so I don't think I'm a "severe duty" driver.

1. Is this just some quirk of the FSS?
  2. Is this is possibly related to a service date the dealer may have specified in the "Special Work" menu based on the previous owner - thoughts? FWIW, the last service was performed in May prior to the purchase (oil change and tranny flush, other repairs).
  3. I really don't want to be nagged every day for the next few months, so is there any way to suppress it short of confirming the service?
As a semi-humorous side note, the 295 minute 'weighting' number (minutes required for the E service) made me smile. Like the car itself, the service duration was very precise, finely tuned and eminently German - not an even 300 minutes like I would expect in an American car, but 295 minutes exactly.

Thanks and my apologies if I missed this explanation somewhere in the forums. I hate to post another FSS-based question, but my I could not find a related post in my searches last night.

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
The FSS has a time limit on the service, this is what you're seeing.
The dealer alternates the service between A and B, the rest of the maintenance items are a la carte.
How long has it been since the last service? May prior to the purchase in the calendar year of ?
If it has been less than 2 years I would reset it, drive it for another 2500 miles, change the oil and reset again

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RoadKing - the last service was done before purchase in May 2012 and the dealer did not specifically call out whether it was A or B. I'm guessing it was either "B" or perhaps just the oil change and the pre-purchase checks. I think I'm going to do the cabin filter, checks and have an Indy flush the brake fluid just to be safe.

Believe it or not, the last "A" service was in September of 2010 - between then and my purchase almost 2 years later, the PO put put 5K miles on the car -I have put another 3K on it and there are now 57,xxx miles on it. It really wasn't driven much, so I'm a little worried on the timing of some of maintenance items versus the time the car spend sitting around.

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
Most of MB's fluids are synthetic, and they are far less hygroscropic than mineral oils, so .... no worries.
It sounds like got a hold of a gem, even if absolutely no maintainence was performed except for oil changes, no harm was done.You're right on track with the brake fluid change, I would suggest the diff fluid be changed as well, its really easy and it will give you trouble free service for a long time, also you may want to pick up a can of Pentosin from your local autoparts store and replace the P/S fluid in the reservoir(cheap insurance), then replace it again in a week.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
386 Posts
Most of MB's fluids are synthetic, and they are far less hygroscropic than mineral oils, so .... no worries.
It sounds like got a hold of a gem, even if absolutely no maintainence was performed except for oil changes, no harm was done.You're right on track with the brake fluid change, I would suggest the diff fluid be changed as well, its really easy and it will give you trouble free service for a long time, also you may want to pick up a can of Pentosin from your local autoparts store and replace the P/S fluid in the reservoir(cheap insurance), then replace it again in a week.
Roger what RoadKing999 has said, just make sure you are using the correct MB approved fluids for the rear axle (85W90 MB hypoid gear oil part number 001 989 17 03 10) and Power streering fluid (Pentosin CHF 11S, MB Part No. BQ 1 32 0001).

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys - much appreciated and I like the clever tip on the power steering fluid :thumbsup: . I think I'm going to get the Pentosin off of Amazon (may order a turkey baster as well - lol).

The rear end oil is a different story - my searches turned up a spirited 13 page post on gear oils - nothing can be simple or straightforward on a W211 can it :) ? To cut to the chase: it seems that Mercedes revised its specs on gear oils in the last 6-12 months and it appears that the the "right" gear oil to currently use in the US W211's is Mobil Delvac 75W90, which is a synthetic hypoid gear oil used in heavy trucks. It also appears to be about the same price as the Mercedes 85W90 :eek: I did find it for about $42+ S&H from Lufteknic.com, which seems pretty reasonable, but I haven't looked around much more than that.

FWIW, the new spec is 235.8:

MB 235.8 - Hypoid gear oils (SAE 75W-90, Specification 235.8) - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids

85W90 is still recommended for W163 ML's, however - ironically, I've been looking for one of these.

Well that was an interesting 2-3 hours of research - maybe I'll just ask the dealer or my Indy. :surrender: Man, I could use a drink!

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
Make it a double:big laugh:
You are correct on the Mobil Delvac, it sounds like you have a good source already, other than that the best place to get it is a truck repair shop, they have them usually in large drums, you have to bring your own container but they will charge you about $5/quart.
The 2nd best place is a truck dealer(freightliner etc..), they have the 5 gallon jug for $40 or so.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
386 Posts
Thanks guys - much appreciated and I like the clever tip on the power steering fluid :thumbsup: . I think I'm going to get the Pentosin off of Amazon (may order a turkey baster as well - lol).

The rear end oil is a different story - my searches turned up a spirited 13 page post on gear oils - nothing can be simple or straightforward on a W211 can it :) ? To cut to the chase: it seems that Mercedes revised its specs on gear oils in the last 6-12 months and it appears that the the "right" gear oil to currently use in the US W211's is Mobil Delvac 75W90, which is a synthetic hypoid gear oil used in heavy trucks. It also appears to be about the same price as the Mercedes 85W90 :eek: I did find it for about $42+ S&H from Lufteknic.com, which seems pretty reasonable, but I haven't looked around much more than that.

FWIW, the new spec is 235.8:

MB 235.8 - Hypoid gear oils (SAE 75W-90, Specification 235.8) - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids

85W90 is still recommended for W163 ML's, however - ironically, I've been looking for one of these.

Well that was an interesting 2-3 hours of research - maybe I'll just ask the dealer or my Indy. :surrender: Man, I could use a drink!
Well go get a drink and then take a look at this document: http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/d/d/en/Spec_231_1.pdf

It is the recommendation for Cars and cross country vehicles and they are recommending MB Spec 235.7 for standard and limited slip diff. It is a 85W90 fluid. If you really want to get confused look at the approved 235.7 fluids and they don't list a 85W90 but a very expensive 75W85 that you will only find at the dealer. It is over $30 a liter and was designed for fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
I've been running the Mobil Delvac 75W-90 quiet successfully, it quieted down my diff noticeably and its MB approved, haven't noticed the gas mileage improvement.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not to start (or restart ;) ) trouble, but here is the original thread on the axle lube - thought I'd reference it in case someone stumbles across this post in the future:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211-e-class/1520582-gear-oil-85w90-75w90-doesnt-matter.html

The "updated part" starts around page 9 or 10 I think, but I recommend reading the entire post. The moral I took from this story is: choose EITHER the 85W90 OR the newly spec'd 75W90, whichever you prefer or makes you more comfortable (except if you own a W163).

My guess is that both lubes are VERY conservative, over-engineered choices given that they appear to be designed for use in heavy truck axles.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 2016 E250
3,199 Posts
The "updated part" starts around page 9 or 10 I think, but I recommend reading the entire post. The moral I took from this story is: choose EITHER the 85W90 OR the newly spec'd 75W90, whichever you prefer or makes you more comfortable (except if you own a W163).

My guess is that both lubes are VERY conservative, over-engineered choices given that they appear to be designed for use in heavy truck axles.
Why is the w163 different? I used 75w90 in my w163 when I changed it.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,119 Posts
The ML W163 was only 85W95 until about 4-5 years ago and then there were only two approved brands besides MB's own brand. The ML is different in a couple of ways. On the ML the power split is 50/50 or 48/52 depending on year. It weighs 700lbs more.
With a 4matic W211 it is a 35/65 split. With RWD obviously it all goes to the back.
If it is Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube then it does not meet the MB specs.

However I would not worry about it. MB claims their lube and the MB approved ones have a greater shear strength and stability as temps go up. A member named drivbiwire posted a chart of the fluids and their benefits that I can try to search for.

When I did my W211 it was still a CPO car so I made sure all MB or MB approved fluids went into the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts