Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Vito 109 CDI KA-E 2148cc
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks,

I've compiled a cheatsheet service list.

I'm not looking to do everything perfectly according to the manual (because of cost) but I do want to know what are the 'must-dos'.

My mileage is low (approx 12K pa and 67.5K now) so I do an annual service on my '07 Vito 109 CDI diesel van myself changing oil and filters as required.

- full oil + oil filter change once a year with synthetic oil
- fuel filter change once every two years
- clean air filter or replace every two years
- tyres and wipers as needed
- check all fluid levels and top up if required
- do I need to change a drive belt or chain sometime soon?

Pls reply if you would add or amend this list.

Thank you!

·
Registered
108CDI Vito, 1996 Fireblade, 1978 Dresda Honda CR750
97 Posts
Ill go onto Autodata later and see if i can get the manufacturers recommendations for service schedules. That way you have all the correct info and you can just pick and choose what to do.
I would always stick to their oil change schedules, i change the air & oil filter every time whether it says to or not (its cheap anyway), fuel filter every 24 months or when it hits the mileage recommendations. Brake fluid every 24 months and topup as reqd, coolant every 12 months and top-up as reqd, gearbox oil gets done at manufacturers recommendations.
Dont forget about the pollen filter/s, brake discs and pads, all drive belts/chains etc.

·
Registered
Vito 109 CDI KA-E 2148cc
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DangerStevie!

I have the service manual as I bought the Vito new.

My motor guru brother-in-law has recommended the oil and filter changes so that's a must on my list.
My air filter looks clean (must be the fresh atlantic SWlies) but yes it's cheap so I do it every 2nd year.
Brake fluid every 2nd year - yes the manual says this but is that not being overly cautious? is a topup not enough? can the fluid really degrade that quickly?
Coolant - same Qs again?
Brake discs and pads - my guru says you'll know when they need to be done as you'll gradually start to feel it takes more to slow down. Is this accurate or perhaps reckless?
Drive belts and chains - I read 75K after 1st maintenance check but not sure what the 1st maintenance check mileage should be.

Anyway, thanks for your input!

·
Registered
97 Posts
The brake fluid is hygroscopic so it absorbs moisture and as it does it becomes worse and worse at its job. So yes replace the brake fluid as recommended in your service manual.
Coolant again is another one that's debatable, you could probably leave it for a few years and be ok but it does degrade, the corrosion inhibitors in it stop working and the freeze resistance lessens. If you don't want to replace it at least check it with an antifreeze tester before winter sets in so you can be sure the thing won't freeze solid and ruin your engine.
The brakes I check every 8k miles or whenever I feel a judder, squeal or other thing that the brakes should not do. It is not a good idea to just drive until you hear metal on metal from your worn out pads as that will then require disk and pad replacement when pads alone would have been required a few hundred miles sooner.
The cambelt/chain I would do at manufacturers recommendation, if you do not know how many miles it had done before 1st service I would replace the belts/chain at 75k ish. Cannot be too safe with these. 1st maintenance. Heck is usually around the 3-10k mark depending on manufacturer and type of vehicle.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
Vito 109 CDI KA-E 2148cc
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi DS,

that's brilliant - clear concise and complete answers! Many thanks.

It seems a bit daunting asking such basic questions when I read the forum posts and see such expertise traded like idle banter over a neighbours hedge.

Anyway, if you ever want any home energy efficiency expertise (my field) then pls don't hesitate to contact me. I'd be glad to return the favour.

Thank you again, Bern.

·
Registered
97 Posts
No worries mate, that's what forums are for. If you need anything else don't hesitate to shout up. If you are unsure if it's been asked a million times before the search buttons are you friends. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts