Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a message on my dashboard that my Service C is due. I called the dealer and the whole thing consists of an oil change and a laundry list of "inspections". All that for $250 + tax - WTF? For an oil change? Anyway, just wanted to vent and ask if people have suggestions/feedback on this...

Thanks,
S

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
239 Posts
You could always ask them to just to the oil change, but I don't know what they charge for that. Personally, I don't mind the inspections because I want to know if there are any problems that I don't know about. These are complicated cars, and if you want to maintain it by the book, you'd need to do a lot of crawling around and really know what you are doing if you wanted to try to maintain it yourself. I recall once the service tech found a problem with my air ducts on my C-Class that I didn't even know about and he fixed it under warranty. I appreciate an expert identifying problems for me. (As a business consultant, that's what I do for my clients.) Then, use your judgment about what you have worked on. MB's are expensive cars in every sense, and personally I think it is a mistake to not maintain these cars as MB advises, and that includes inspections.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point, I'll take it in and hopefully they don't find anything. Also, the list does not mention anything regarding the air filter. How often should that be changed?

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
239 Posts
Sorry, but I don't know. As you'd surmise from my post above, I'm the kind of guy who lets MB decide the best way to maintain the car that they engineered and built. Others on this board would likely have strong opinions about it, though!

·
Registered
2003 E320 - wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my car!!
637 Posts
sergiuvlad said:
I just got a message on my dashboard that my Service C is due. I called the dealer and the whole thing consists of an oil change and a laundry list of "inspections". All that for $250 + tax - WTF? For an oil change? Anyway, just wanted to vent and ask if people have suggestions/feedback on this...

Thanks,
S
I heard the dealer where I bought my car from quote someone $275 for Service A which is just an oil/filter change and fluid inspections under the hood. Air filter change recommendations from MB are about at the 60K mile interval, but could be less if you drive in dusty areas. I changed mine at 54K miles when my "F" service came up.

By the way, you can step through the service item list in FSS to see exactly what service items (#1-14) need to be done. Service "C" by FSS standards takes approx 3 hrs to complete. There could be things you could do yourself. You can buy the oil filters online for about $20 and Mobil 1 0W40 oil is about $5.70/qt at Walmart and a little more at auto part stores.

Regards,
Paul...

·
Registered
07 E63 AMG Black on Black
446 Posts
Service records

If you plan to sell your MB in the near future, a set of service records is gong to be on the top ten buyer list. Get the service done, have it entered in your manual. While you are at the dealer, have them pull up ALL records on your car and initial the service intervals as completed in your manual. Keep the records and present them to the potential buyer.
You could place in your advertisement that "car was maintained as required by MB". When I sold my 03, I had a binder with all the receipts ... made a difference.

As for air filters, I change mine every 25k. They are cheap, and clean filters let the engine breathe better = better performance and MPG. I might be a bit anal on the oil change/air filter issues but I have always enjoyed trouble free performance.

·
Registered
2003 E320 - wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my car!!
637 Posts
Lear,
You're absolutely right. I did vary from what you said when I recently did my "F" service myself. I brought the W211 service sheet I marked up to a notary and made a formal record of it for my service binder.

Regards,
Paul...

·
Registered
446 Posts
d that

paulv said:
Lear,
You're absolutely right. I did vary from what you said when I recently did my "F" service myself. I brought the W211 service sheet I marked up to a notary and made a formal record of it for my service binder.

Regards,
Paul...
I'll agree that the mechanically inclined in this forum, of which there are many according to the hords of emails and PMs I get, are capable of doing many of the service items themselves. In many cases, such as oil changes, it's done by the DIY better than the dealer. I check my FSS and read the service requirements, and decide which I am going to do myself. Keep in mind that I have amassed the tolls specific to MB over the years to do the service items correctly. I also subscribe to ALLDATA ( http://www.alldatadiy.com/index.html )which is an excellent source of informaton. In any event, documentation is the key. I use a standard log sheet with details, dates and specifics. I generally leave it up to the dealer to fix (warranty) the problem areas and sign off on the MB log.

I like mechanicals, don't mind getting my hands dirty. I also tend to be more detail oriented and feel I miss less than the hourly mechanic that gets X.X hrs to do the fix, or the manager is on his ass.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
239 Posts
Lear,

Mechanicals are one thing, and these cars (or many modern cars generally) are another thing altogether! I do all the wrenching on my Bronco, and have rebuilt lots of British iron, but MBs are more about electronics and complicated interconnected systems rather than simply mechanical things. I love the "purity" of my Bronco. As much as I enjoy my Mercedes, they seem so silly in comparison to the Bronco with all their miles of wires and masses of electronics. Long after the MBs are dead because they are impossible to fix, my truck will still be soldiering on (as long as I can get gas for it--it has dual tanks for a reason!).

http://classicbroncos.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/397/cat/500/ppuser/9322/sl/b

As for oil, I think that unless a DIYer has proper disposal methods, it should be left to a shop. My city will recycle anything, and I can put a jug of used oil on the curb and they'll take it. I don't think most communities will do that, so I'd guess that many DIYers have a problem disposing of oil. I know that a lot of it winds up in sewers and in the ground.

·
Registered
446 Posts
HFMB said:
Lear,

Mechanicals are one thing, and these cars (or many modern cars generally) are another thing altogether! I do all the wrenching on my Bronco, and have rebuilt lots of British iron, but MBs are more about electronics and complicated interconnected systems rather than simply mechanical things. I love the "purity" of my Bronco. As much as I enjoy my Mercedes, they seem so silly in comparison to the Bronco with all their miles of wires and masses of electronics. Long after the MBs are dead because they are impossible to fix, my truck will still be soldiering on (as long as I can get gas for it--it has dual tanks for a reason!).

http://classicbroncos.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/397/cat/500/ppuser/9322/sl/b

As for oil, I think that unless a DIYer has proper disposal methods, it should be left to a shop. My city will recycle anything, and I can put a jug of used oil on the curb and they'll take it. I don't think most communities will do that, so I'd guess that many DIYers have a problem disposing of oil. I know that a lot of it winds up in sewers and in the ground.

I couldn't agree with you more, conerning the complexity of MB, the miles of wires and computer controlled systems. I'll be out in the garage late at nite, tinkering with some do-dad totally away from mt Benz, and it will make a series of noises
that I am certain are triggeed by some chip, deeply embedded within the electronics. I limit my work to the MB to oil, brakes, routine stuff. I refuse to pay the dealer 85 bucks to change out my wiper blades, or Siphon oil from my engine.

I open the hood of my '64 and the most complex thing is the carburator linkage. The engine can be pulled in four hours, cam out in one, heads off in a half hour. Try that on any modern car.

We do have a curb side pick-up for oil, they even supply the container.

By the way, great looking Bronco! I had a '71 in the early 80's. It also had a 302, Detroit lockers, a well used wench and roll cage. Hauled many a buck during season out of very remote locations. I used a TRW medium lift cam for torque and milled heads for a bit more compression.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts