Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 slk350
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm from Vancouver Canada.My car(slk350)is 16 years old with 11500 Km on it.few weeks ago check the service indictor.it showed service B in 9000 Km.but yesterday when I star the engine.it showed Service B in 30 days.I called the service Dpt to ask.the guy told me that the car has been over a year.so no matter how many Km on it ,u have to do the service B.I also check the service booklet.It says 'Under normal circumstances the driven distane between service is an average of approximately 19,00Km"
does anyone here have the same experience can share with me??and i didn't drive my car very hard.

·
Registered
slk 200 r171
59 Posts
I took my car in when it was exactly 12 months old for service B- it had done about 7000 miles but the service manager told me it didn't require servicing for another 5000 according to the computerised service indicator.

Two months later it is telling me there is still over 4000 miles to go. I am not too happy to leave it so long before services, but I guess the computer knows best.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
The computer will analyze the quality of the oil, and report a different value on the service interval depending on the way you've driven, and thus caused different amount of stress to the vehicle.

In addition, I think a "maximum" interval between services should also be imposed, and probably is, as certain bits and pieces need to be regularly checked just to see if they're doing all right. Perhaps the oil inside is still good for another 5000km's, but what about the oil in other bits, or rubber joints that need replacing, or some parts which need lubricating, etc...

Usually, a car should have a "minimum" amount of time which it should be driven each year. Some people say cars like a Ferrari or a Lambo should not be driven any less then 7500km's (5000miles) a year in order to keep all bits and pieces in good working order. Thus, if the "service" is to be done at 15,000km's, would 2 years between services be too far apart?

I would just follow the recommended procedure from the manufacturer... frequent services will hardly do the car any bad, but infrequent ones might.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts