Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 E350 Coupe
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All:

I have a 2011 E 350 coupe. The display says that Service B is due. I have checked various forums that say that this is a "recommended" service. My question is that aside from the oil change and filter change is the rest of the stuff really needed? as it seems to be DIY. The dealership says that since 2009 the FSS has changed and on my car it will also include a brake flush recommended at 20,000 miles or two years. Again, is this recommended or a must?

The dealer is charging $650.00 (including taxes) which seems a little high. I have checked local mechanics that service MB but I am afraid that I may have warranty issues if I take the care elsewhere other than the dealership. Any suggestions?

A look at the maintenance book states that this is going to be a yearly story as there is a service every year or 10,000.00 miles. Is Service B really a major service and if so, then what about C, D, and so on. I just don't want to spend thousands $$$$ every year as it seems the cost of these FSS services keeps increasing.

Any info and recommendations greatly appreciated!:)

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
First, you will NOT void any warranty by having an Indie do the work, or, for that matter YOU doing the work, as long as you document the service.

Now, where you *WILL* run into Warranty problems is if you *DON'T* comply with the servicing guidelines.

Yes, the Stealer prices are over-inflated. This is the reason why I do ALL of my work myself. With the right tools, it is a very quick, easy and enjoyable experience to bond with your vehicle.

Follow the previously posted Service Sheet, and you should be in good shape.

Oh, and please complete your Profile, so we know at least what continent you are on....

·
Registered
2008 C350 Blk with Gray (sold), 2011 E550 Cab, 1986 Porsche 911 Carrera/Targa 2010 Mazda 3 Hatchback
230 Posts
IMO, having the brake fluid flush done at the proper intervals is very important! Brake fluid loves moisture and braking components can be very expensive if not taken care of. Just my .02.

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
IMO, having the brake fluid flush done at the proper intervals is very important! Brake fluid loves moisture and braking components can be very expensive if not taken care of. Just my .02.
I agree 100%! This is why (living in a Hot & Humid environ) I perform the Brake Fluid Service on a YEARLY basis, every spring.

·
Registered
2011 E350 Coupe
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I checked couple of Indies and the savings are just about $150.00. The dealers in my area are running specials so I am just going to suck it up and go with the dealer at least for now. I can DIY but am a tight on time. Maybe once the car is few years old I will go with someone else. Thanks for the info tho.:)

·
Registered
2001 SLK320 ex Japan.
261 Posts
Oh how I long for the good old days of my W124s where it was a 6000 mile cycle of service with specifics listed that were different depending on the intervals, it ran for 24000 miles and repeated with brake fluid change every 2 yr. and coolant every 3.
Oil changes are as blood to humans in my view. Never balk at oil changes on price. Go out and find the oil cheaper than what they charge as well as the filter if you want to save cash but don't miss an oil change. If you you get it done at a properly licensed shop with receipts and documented in the book your warranty will not be affected. Miss it and see what happens.
Unless you have the facilities available, it is a good safety thing to monitor break wear.
Coolants are supposed to last for 10 yr. I won't leave mine in that long. There are additives in it that protect the system and get consumed. Cheap insurance to change it earlier.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320 ex Japan.
261 Posts
Fully agree. Haven't had to do it on my W212 yet but on my W211, W209 and 2 W124's I really looked forward to the harder pedal feel.
It also prevents corrosion of the brake lines.

·
Registered
CLS500 (5.5l)
116 Posts
PM me your service code (google on how to access the assyst plus menu), VIN and current mileage and I will see if I can generate the exact service sheet from WIS/ASRA, the same software the stealers use.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
$740 for the 30k mile service, what do you think of that?

This is the price I have been charged for the 30k service at the dee where I bought this car (e350 Sport, 2011 model) in Northern California.

This service includes the standard (synthetic oil) LOF, changing the cabin air filter and renewing the brake fluid (NOT the engine air filters, or an ATF change or sparkplugs).

I am ok with the jobs, themselves, (and you need it done for warranty compliance wjich I understand,) and they said part of the price is for the changing of the power steering fluid in the Power Steering reservoir - which they recommended be performed at this time.

And the side to side tire rotation for the staggered rims on this car, is part of this "B" service, but I get it done for nothing at my local tire shop and already just did that.

But I am a bit leery of the dealership's service department, last year they gave me an estimate for over $7,000 worth of work they said the 1995 e420 supposedly needed, and that's more than the car is worth - a LOT more. It was every little nitpicking thing they could find.

I have never been able to figure out the dealer's service pricing structure either; they said there is no dollar per hour charge, and different kindsd of jobs get charged at different rates.

$740 seems pretty ambitious though to me for just a 30k service at the dealer, where I bought this car, most of it is "looking" at things..

The Service Advisor told me all of these things would take about 4-5 hours when I seemed appalled at the high price, as if to justify that price to me, but she did NOT break down the estimate (last week). Now the car's odometer just rollef over to 30k miles yesterday......
0k and so now I need to go --- somewhere....I will pay a fair price, but don't want to waste money either....

Downtown LA Motors, (500miles south of here) on the other hand, offers right now,an internet special for the same service (minus the PS fluid chnge) for $379. Why such a big difference?

Should I take it to another dealer like that one? The price here to me, seems pretty high.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts