Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll let you guys decide. I took my car in because the damn thing said to and I take a look at the service menu. Here's what is says:

Flexible Service System A - Service
Includes engine oil and filter change with Mobil 1 engine oil replacement of dust filter for most models. Inspect brake pads and condition of brake discs inspect and rotate wheels. Check and correct all fluid levels. Reset FSS indicator.

So here we pay $259.95 bucks and the only thing that gets replaced is the oil, fluid top offs (if necessary), and dust filter. And they inspect blah, blah, blah.....

Now...

Flexible Service System B - Service
Includes all services in the FSS A Service plus replace windshield wiper inserts, and lubricate and inspect throttle linkage. Check and correct all fluids leves, balance wheels and reset FSS indicator Visual inspection of undercarriage and engine compartment for leaks. Check A/C refigerant levels. Inspect poly-V belt.

So for and extra $150 bucks at $409.95 we get a new winshield wiper, and a little lube on the throttle linkage. And some more inspection of blah, blah, blah....

Doesn't jiffy lube, top off all fluid levels for you anyways?

·
Registered
C350 Sports
8 Posts
I totally feel your pain. I love my Mercedes car but the rediculious charges by the dealership on maintenance turns me off as well. I am willing to pay for good service, but not what their service "A" and service "B" entails. Maybe if the the Mercedes dealership's business strategist consider the majority of the Mercedes users and makes maintenance more affortable, maybe more people will consider to buy a Mercedes. I know professionals that makes 6 figures annual salary who are being cheap and not doing maintenance to their cars because of the outrageous fees to change the oil and the wiper blades like you mentioned.

·
Registered
2000 CLK 430 Cab
565 Posts
Yes, it is a rip off. I'm one of those 6 figure professionals and ever since my CLK went out of warranty (50,000 mi, took less than 3 years) I've done my own oil, fluids, tune-ups, belt and brakes. I now have 210,000 mi and my CLK still runs great! I would never mind paying what is right but I certainly know when I'm being overcharged... I also do this because I enjoy it as most do on this site.

·
Registered
Mercedes 230GE then Range Rover Classic Overfinch Softdash then Mercedes 190e now CLK 230K Cab
78 Posts
i would not trust a dealership anyway. as you wrote its heavily over priced, they didnt even change the oil on my dads ML once, just topped it up resulting in an oil high warning as soon as the car was started.

I use an independent, we wont let anyone else near the cars, plus he is really handy, you can just pop in and he will put the diagnostics on no charge and as you know him you can trust everything he does.

Also as for the dealership oil change, they dont drain it from the bottom but suck it out (thus all the crud is still in the bottom) and dont change the gear and transfer box oil resulting in a half clean mix which is pointless!

rant over!

Tommy

·
Banned
2006 S500, 2003 ML350, 1996 C280 (Previously 2002 CLK320, 1995 C220, 1980 300SD TurboDiesel)
2,670 Posts
Yes, it is a rip off. I'm one of those 6 figure professionals and ever since my CLK went out of warranty (50,000 mi, took less than 3 years) I've done my own oil, fluids, tune-ups, belt and brakes. I now have 210,000 mi and my CLK still runs great! I would never mind paying what is right but I certainly know when I'm being overcharged... I also do this because I enjoy it as most do on this site.
That's because you are the man.

I should put this in my signature it's so good and this should be its own sticky in stark contrast to the 18 year olds that come on this board and never touch a wrench. The main thing for me with these cars is working on them yourself and appreciating the challenge of doing it yourself AND with better care than a mechanic.

Why go to the stealership for Service A and B when you have the wealth of info and comraderie that is Benzoworld :D

[EDIT: there is an ad for red lobsters endless shrimp deal on the page right now - that is ALSO a rip off and I don't suggest going to get their skinny shrimp like I did when I went to magic mountain last saturday(which was not a rip-off, esp after two for one tickets (SCHMEE!) :) ]

·
Registered
1995 C220
13 Posts
Thread from the dead, but so true.

About to acquire a C220 like I had new in '95 before there was A & B service. This time I'll be doing my own routine maintenance and using an independent shop for the remainder.

·
Registered
99' CLK320, 2011 e350 Bluetec
209 Posts
Thread from the dead, but so true.

About to acquire a C220 like I had new in '95 before there was A & B service. This time I'll be doing my own routine maintenance and using an independent shop for the remainder.
I wouldn't mind the cost so much, if they actually did everything that the Service A or B is supposed to come with.
They are supposed to check brake pad and rotor thickness, lube all hinges and latches, check every lamp, and many other things. The charge is supposed to be paying the labor for all of the checks.
I know for a fact my E350 has been serviced 3 times while under warranty, and after 3 times every hinge and latch is still bone dry. :frown

1 - 7 of 7 Posts