Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 500SL, 2001 Jaguar XJR
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started having this problem last season, and it continues this year. When I give the car a good bit of gas and then let up it it lets out a large high pitched squeal from the front end.
My questions to the forum are:

1.Does this sound like a serpentine belt issue?

2. How long does a serp. belt last

3. How difficult is it to change one, and if it is a pain, any idea what a shop would charge to change one?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
Tensioner. You can replace the belt too, while you're at it. When's the last time it was done?

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
Hi Matt,

1. Based on the description you have provided, it sounds like a serpentine belt, and/or tensioner squeal.

2. The lifespan of a typical serpentine belt is about five years or 50000 miles. I would suggest that you inspect the belt (ignition off of course) for cracks along the edges, and particularly on the inner side of the belt the side which contacts the pulley. If considerable cracks and/or deterioration plus stifness of the rubber is noticeable (due to age), it is recommended to be replaced.

3. How difficult? I haven't had the oppurtunity to change one before on the M119 engine, however I can't imagine it requiring any type of advanced mechanical skills. Typically, you would need to loosen or remove the tensioner to have access removing the belt. If the shop quotes you from the book, it should be: Serpentine Belt Tensioner R&R - 1.3 labor hours, (according to Mitchell1's official labor estimating guide) which suggests to me that it shouldn't be that big of a job. NOTE: There is no listing in the book for Serpentine Belt R&R, only Serpentine Belt Tensioner R&R.

Hope it helped a bit. Perhaps others can chime in and elaborate with additional details.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotta love this board, "answers in minutes" !
Not sure when it was last changed. I bought the car in November 06 with 88k on it, it has 96k miles now...
Deanyal, are you saying this issue is the timing belt??

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
No, and there is no timing belt, only a timing chain and a serpentine belt. I was merely pointing out that the diagram was of the timing chain, since corrected. Problem sounds belt or belt tensioner related.

·
Registered
300SL-24 1992 White;BMW X3-3.0 E83 2005 Blue;190E-2.6 1992(sold); BMW 316-1.8 E30 1983(sold)
227 Posts
That's the timing chain, not the serpentine belt. The serpentive belt diagram should be in the owner's manual. It's not that hard a job, should be an hour or so for a shop. By the way it's a 119.960 motor, it's the chassis number that's 066.
The belt R&R would include the job of engine cooling fan taking off, which needs some "very big" spanner. Since that doesn't cost much(~US$40 belt+labor in my country) I suggest to have it done by the workshop.

morriswu

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,371 Posts
Gentlemen let's not get in to a pissing contest.
We don't have a timing belt, we have a chain.

Neoken's diagram is correct, sins we only have one belt replace every 30K or
less when you see cracks or when you have this problem slipping noise, your belt is glazed or the tension er is bad, replace them both to be on the safe side.
Who cares how long is going to take, you will have bigger problems if you don't.
(It is a small job, do it. )
Working from my head $125 on parts, about the same for labor.
Or do it your self and save.
I think the belt is bad in this case about $38
How many miles on the belt?
Regards.
aam.

·
Registered
1 Posts
did the fellah ever change the serpentine belt and tensioner? What are the steps needed to get this job done? How does one remove the tensioner and thus the belt I assume follows?

Is there any trick of the trade to get things off or back on correctly?
Thanks in advance.
Skippyd

·
Registered
1992 500SL, 1984 300TD, 1990 300CE
16 Posts
I recently did this job on my 1992 500SL. I have changed many serpintine belts and this was the easiest one I have ever done (on a scale of 1 -10 I would rate it at 1.5), Just make sure you keep the diagram posted by NEOKEN handy. I replaced the belt, tensioner assy. and the adjustment rod for a little less than $200.00. As far as getting the parts do not go to any local auto parts stores becasue they will sell you the wrong sized belt. Order the parts from autohaus or ********** (belt tensioner assy part# W0133-1607736 and the serpintine belt part # W0133-1625751). I recommend replacing both the belt and the tensioner assy because the tensioner uses a rubber core that keeps tension on the tensioner and rubber that is near 20 years old is worn out by now. I hope this helps out.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have not had her in yet to get this done, good advice on this project from Mac..

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I decided to have the shop replace the belt. They will have it ready for me to pick up tomorrow. They said that the belt tensioner looks good at this point. For the belt and labor to install will be $162 at my indy shop.

Matt

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
M119 serpentine belt removal procedures: Click on image to enlarge.

Also, please see the attached ZIP file for detailed M119 serpentine belt running diagrams and dimensions.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts