Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1999, ML430
56 Posts
This is a really simple job. It will take you longer to get the right socket heads selected than it will to put the new belt on (my original has a Torx female but my new one was completely different). If you have the original idler pulley with over 100,000 miles, I predict the idler pulley bearings are rough and noisey (spin the idler puller once you have the belt off). My tensioner bearing also starting making lots of noise a few hundred miles after the new belt was installed. The bearing was clearly into failure mode.

Removing the single nut (36mm) holding the fan to the fan clutch is fast and makes the belt replacement, tensioner and idler pulley a breeze (in fact on the ML430 you must remove the fan to get the idler pulley bolt out). This is intended to be honest input AND sort of self promoting since I have an extra 36mm thin, long wrench I'd love to sell.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.