Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 S430 that cranks over but will not start. The belt broke and I drove about one mile back to my house. I have replaced the belt and the car cranks over but won't start. Could the battery be low and not allowing the engine electronics to start the car? The car did overheat in my driveway, but it shut itself off hopefully before any damage occured. The battery light is on and so is the ESP light. It seems to crank over nicely, but makes no attempt to start. Any ideas before I have it towed to the shop and spend big $$$$ ?

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,581 Posts
Why did you leave it running if it was overheating in your Driveway ? They don't just shut off if they are overheating

The belt probably damaged something when it snapped

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The belt broke about 10 minutes from home. I got it back home where it shut down and boiled over. Now it cranks but won't restart

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E Saloon. M103 lump.
1,618 Posts
Fully charge the battery .It will go in to shutdown if the battery is low ..And good luck ,i hope nothing is damaged .

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E Saloon. M103 lump.
1,618 Posts
Fully charge the battery .It will go in to shutdown if the battery is low ..And good luck ,i hope nothing is damaged .Please let us know the out come .

·
Registered
Mercedes S500 - W140 && S500 W220.
820 Posts
I have a 2003 S430 that cranks over but will not start. The belt broke and I drove about one mile back to my house. I have replaced the belt and the car cranks over but won't start. Could the battery be low and not allowing the engine electronics to start the car? The car did overheat in my driveway, but it shut itself off hopefully before any damage occured. The battery light is on and so is the ESP light. It seems to crank over nicely, but makes no attempt to start. Any ideas before I have it towed to the shop and spend big $$$$ ?
check the fuse box,
without the belt, the dynamo would quit, and cause electrical problems.

After that, check the quality of coolant.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 S430
1,923 Posts
ENGINE EMERGENCY STOP fuses are 29, 30 or 43, 44 or 87, 88. Which would be a good place to start, you will need to check for any damage to the wiring that was "in the line of fire" from the belt.

·
Registered
2002 S 430
247 Posts
+1 for beginning with the battery, disconnect, recharge and reconnect. ESP may stay, you will have to synchronize it.
It never hurts to check (and clean) the fuses.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone. I am charging the battery and I will also scan the computer for any codes. I am pretty sure that the battery ran low and everything just shut down due to low voltage. A quick visual check did not reveal any obvious damage and once the battery is charged I will hopefully clear any codes.

·
Registered
2004 S500 W220; 2002 CL500 C215
35 Posts
This might be a stupid question, but did you make sure that all of the pulleys that the belt is supposed to turn are able to turn?

·
Premium Member
2005 CLK500 w/30K
836 Posts
Battery should not have gone dead in 10 minutes running the car. Feels like there is a 2nd shoe needing to get dropped here. (something you're not telling us)

The amount of time the car could run with no alternator is MUCH longer than the amount of time it could run with no water pump running.

Also, how did you steer? With no power steering it must have been some work.

I once lost a serpentine belt, I shut off the engine and coasted to a stop, called a tow truck. Lack of water circulation is a bad thing.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Back to life!!!

The beast is running again. Found a 15amp blown fuse in the passenger side underhood fuse box. I changed the fuse, started the engine and topped off the water. All the codes are clear and my baby is back on the road. Thank you everyone for your advice. You people are GREAT!!!

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,581 Posts
What happened to that other guy who had his fan belt break and 209 posts later his car still wouldn't start

Maybe he should check this fuse too

·
Registered
2001 mercedes S430, 2010 mercedes E550 4matic
340 Posts
Which fuse exactly and also his car was able to crank, mine doesn't crank at all but i'll take a look.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts