Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel W210
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 1985 300D two of the three bolts on my thermostat housing came out with no problems. But the one on the left side was sticking and became sort of rounded off. Now a conventional wrench will get it but my ratchet wont. Seeing as there is not enough room to maneveur the conventional wrench with out taking off that line above it, what are my options? Bolt extractors? take off the line above it? (its the metal line) all options welcomed! Thanks.

·
Registered
1984 300TDt
265 Posts
bolt extractor should work. I've got a set of Irwin brand that works wonders... well worth the $20 I paid for em.

·
Registered
1984 300D 375,000 miles 1996 e300d 266,000 miles 1983 300SD 174,000 miles Ascot Grey
453 Posts
try putting a pair of vice grips straight on the bolt (at 90 degrees, with a LOT of pressure, evenly gripping opposing plains on the bolt, or what's left of them), then put another pair of vise grips, or big channel locks on the first set of vice grips near the bolt, and turning the whole deal. Thats assuming you can get them in the space.

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbodiesel 212K or so, it doesn't work anymore :-)
216 Posts
if you don't care to waste a socket, you can get a one-size-too-small metric socket and beat it onto the bolt...then just ratchet it off as normal.

I had to do that. I was able to recover the socket afterwards but it took some work.

Good luck, you just need some time with wrenches, a few skint knuckles, a beer, and a little time.

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
spray with PB, take a chisel and hammer and start tapping it in the direction of loosen. the shock will help free it up and it will start turning. once turning use whatever to get it out and throw it as far as possible....LOL

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
It is common for Bolts in that area to break. Don't be surprised if the Head snaps off.

If you can do so without damaging anything heat the area of the housing under the bolt with a Propane Torch.

Sometimes putting a Punch in the Middle of the Bolt Head and hitting the Punch with a Hammer helps to loosen stuck Bolts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts