Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are there any compatibility issues between a '74 450sl and and '84 500sl regarding seats - i.e. can my 1984 500sl seats fit in a '74 450sl?

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,105 Posts
Are there any compatibility issues between a '74 450sl and and '84 500sl regarding seats - i.e. can my 1984 500sl seats fit in a '74 450sl?
Don't quote me on this but it seems I remember that the uppy / downy feature is different on the rear of older seats. So the rear bracketry will be different.

·
Always Remembered RIP
6,050 Posts
The older seats have a cam to raise or lower instead of a lever but they all are interchangable.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was told they might have changed in 1975 by a guy who stopped by today to look at my seats.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,604 Posts
Which part do you not believe? The '78 450 I have been helping with did have cams at the rear of the seat tracks to adjust height.
That they are all interchangeable.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
EPC shows different part numbers for the seat tracks. Believe it changed in 1984? 380SL?

When I was trying to find a set for the 560 / seat project. Not sure what is different, never took one out to see. The seats were already tossed when I bought that 450 parts car.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
can the seat tracks simply switch and bolt straight into the earlier model? or would the seats simply bolt to the earlier tracks?

Someone here must have tried it.

Difficult to think MB would not make it compatible in some way...

·
Always Remembered RIP
6,050 Posts
I think if you were to install older seats into a gen2 car you would have to use the newer rails to clear the floor brace. As for SLC seats in an SL the vacuum pods unscrew and it's easy to take the old lever out of the SL seats and adapt them to the SLC's.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think if you were to install older seats into a gen2 car you would have to use the newer rails to clear the floor brace. As for SLC seats in an SL the vacuum pods unscrew and it's easy to take the old lever out of the SL seats and adapt them to the SLC's.
Would you think the reverse be true - installing newer seats to the older model?

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,105 Posts
Would you think the reverse be true - installing newer seats to the older model?
Seriously.....anything can be done with some effort.

The newer seats with the newer brackets would require some drilling for the rear to mount.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts