Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 S210 E280 T
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

With a growing family we have now decided to sell off our beloved '98 E320 for a E 280 T wagon.

Can you guys tell me what the main difference is between these engines? Does the T stand for turbo? Is the 280 more sluggish and does it consume more/less fuel?

Thanks, Al

·
Registered
1999 E320 Sedan
494 Posts
"T" does not mean turbo and has nothing to do with the engine, it is simply Mercedes-Benz's designation for "wagon." They use to call their wagons "the T-model." So "E 280 T" is the same as saying "E280 wagon."

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,866 Posts
The first t is "tourist" from my memory or German for wagon.
In turbo cars dt means diesel turbo while tdt means wagon diesel turbo. It is confusing and often mixed.
1998 E280 engine was never sold in US, so what country we are talking about?

·
Registered
1998 S210 E280 T
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first t is "tourist" from my memory or German for wagon.
In turbo cars dt means diesel turbo while tdt means wagon diesel turbo. It is confusing and often mixed.
1998 E280 engine was never sold in US, so what country we are talking about?
I'm in Iceland, Europe, so that makes sense. Could it be due to taxation in many European countries that the W210 comes in two engines either side of the 3 litre margin?

·
Registered
1998 S210 E280 T
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another small question.

The fan switches are not digital in the E280 as in my E320. Is it possible to replace the mechanical one with the digital?

·
Registered
1999 E320 Sedan
494 Posts
Regarding your question on performance and fuel consumption: you can find basic performance data at Mercedes-Benz W210 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Given both cars are from 1998 both would have the M112 V6 engine. The 2.8l version has just a lesser bore than the 3.2 version, which should mean basically the same reliability and characteristics, only slightly less power and torque. Therefore I suppose the difference in fuel consumption would be marginal. You can compare data from real drivers (most of them from Germany) for both the E320 and E280 models at Spritverbrauch berechnen und Autokosten verwalten - Spritmonitor.de (English language available) to get an impression. Make sure you select the right parameters (transmission, gasoline, year) in order to narrow the sample down to the exact model in which you are interested.

In Europe a wider variety of smaller engines was available due to greater demand for them. For European standards, the 2.8 six-cylinder engine was still on the bigger side. Models with smaller engines were and are cheaper on a number of counts (sale prize, fuel costs, insurance, taxation, less luxury options), so they were targeted at a somewhat different clientele. I rather find it curious why these lower cost versions were not available in the US (still true for current models of European cars). Perhaps because the companies' profit margin on them is smaller...

I suppose by fan switches you mean those with which you regulate the blower and air conditioner? If so, then the E280 probably has the simpler airconditioning system, whereas your E320 has probably the automatic dual-zone AC. These are different systems, e.g. the latter has two separate heater cores (necessary for regulating driver and passenger temperature separately), whereas the former most certainly has only one. Thus the control units would not be interchangeable either.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,866 Posts
I see from Simon's link the 280 is rated at 204 PS.
I drive 175 HP rated diesel and consider it excellent performer even with heavier engine.
Than diesel has unbeatable torque.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts