Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
current: 08 GL320 CDI, 05 ML 350, 98 E300, 84 300SD,
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK! Iam throwing in the towell on this one. I figure it needs some more parts to make it perfect. But since I got the car free from my brother, iam not willing to put more more $ into it. So, let me give you the Hx:
I went and helped my brother move up here via NC, in exchange he gave me this. I already sold my 92 for 2550$ via ebay. Its a 1993 w/ 188k auto 2.6L It sat for 5 yrs with old gas in it. I charged the batt, put some sta-bil fuel conditioner and 5gal of premium. It fired up no problem. The following is new: plugs wires cap/rotor oil, and finally a coil. I ran the car for about 200mi back and forth to work for about two weeks with a temp tag via MD. The car shifts perfectly, sunroof works excellent. All windows/locks work good. The tires only had about 500mi before my bro parked it BTW. I put a new tail pipe in and noticed the undercarriage looked real good. NO OIL leaks at all. I put new brake pads front/back for inspection. The cats look good too. Also changed the fuel filter and noticed the diarhhrea rust when I back washed the old one. Heck, the new one could be clogged again. Aside from being dirty, the car's body is in good shape. No rust anywhere and the plastic rockers look real good. I also noted the cruise acctuator was new, thus the cruise works excellent. The wiper blade is new too. The water pump, belt and fan clutch and bearing look all to be renewed recently. The paper work I got says the headgasket was replaced via my brother, hence no oil leak. Now the not so good: There is a slight click when making a hard left turn and noted an inner tie-rod going bad. I put a new-used starter in to get it running. This was the original problem according to my brother and why he parked it. When tuning the car, I noticed the cap saturated w/ oil and found the bolt holding the rotor stub to the cam, broke. Was able to get it out and replace the 7mm bolt. The major problem is the stalling. I adjusted the fuel mixture screw and replaced the coil just last week. The car stalls only after when warm and with wot in where it bucks like a sw is shutting it down? The coolant sensors all ohm out ok, so i know the cis and ezl are getting the right signals. I DON'T KNOW..?. Anyway I figure before I dump anothe 500-1000$ chasing this, I would give 190 bretheren the 1st crack before ebay. This could be a nice 190 for someone. Maybe an easy fix. The reason for letting it go, is I have a diesel that Iam getting ready to purchase. This is definitely a good deal. Here are the pics:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
even more pics

more interior. Forgot to mention that I have another third brake light via the junkard that will go with the car. PM if interested; I am in Cecil County MD. Oh, and merry x-mas:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
one more note

The interior is leather and both seats are fully functional. The only flaws are the drivers seat seam separation and the pass seat head adj doesn't work. All other functions work good. And...the blower motor bearings are noisy, but heat and all ACC push button functions work good. The radio is factory and needs the factory 4 digit code to reset it, but my brother doesn't remember it...go figure. Maybe MB would give you this...for a $?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,488 Posts
definitely a worthy replacement for the 84 beater that brought me to the 190 cult...going to hopefully arrange a visit to careys while i'm home

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,488 Posts
When are you back? Archie has been sick with cancer, Jody is running the show for now.
damn that sucks to hear, hope he can beat it...i'll be back for the first 2 weeks in February

Sorry but that's MB Tex.

Good deal though. I'd buy it if it was local.
even if it is, doesn't matter...it's a good car that i can add things too to make "mine" and will be a good replacement DD

·
190E, SLK350
67,192 Posts
One project I will gladly help Turnpike to solve. When you get back maybe we will have a meet in Baltimore for some adjustments and diagnosis. There will be plenty of beer and a place to crash.
In the mean time try the usual suspects like intake related or fuel related (I am more inclined to go that way since the car has been sitting for a long time).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts