Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Too many to list
9,419 Posts
There is no “rule “ but they are far more likely to decline a listing if it was unsuccessfully first listed on eBay . They dont want sloppy seconds

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,439 Posts
Best to go BAT first and maybe get lucky. If not, then eBay.

Going BAT would mean going back to stock as much as possible. Those wheels are highly desirable on their own and should sell just fine on craigslist or here. BAT bidders want stock, even if it means less sexy or even inferior.

·
Registered
Too many to list
9,419 Posts
Yes on a low mileage car , best price on BAT would be for a stock Factory looking car

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,592 Posts
orange corner lights is a must

youll do fine on bat because of miles....if it was a laumbach car it would get your craigslist car. his cars easily sell at premium. if u want it on bat u need to take 200 really nice photos....if u dont care just leave it the way it is on CL and wait

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
2,094 Posts
After reviewing the information in this thread and the OP's original purchase thread my opinion is as follows:

1. The good is that your car is the most desirable year, model and color combo for W126 sedans. The car "now" shows pride in ownership by a true enthusiast. While an enthusiast the owner made decisions and modifications to what "he" thought at the time to be improvements etc.
2. One of the earliest posts on OP's original thread in 2018 was by member Bflobob8 "That's too nice to pimp out and your going to lose value in the long run. I would keep that one stock because of the low miles and buy another one to chop up. To each his own though. Nice car." I agree 100% with his advise at that time and today. By modifying the car you have eliminated about 80% of real buyers looking for correct, low mile collector quality w126 cars. Now with a possible 20% of w126 buyers the OP needs to find one that loves all the modifications he made to the car. OK, now we are at about 2% of possible buyers in the market for w126 sedans.
3. I also concur with Liviu165's assessment that your car is "not" a Hagerty #2 car. This car is somewhere between #2 and #3. My assessment is that it is closer to a # 3. Why? 2 things, the cosmetic modifications and the last word any car buyer wants to hear is "rust". Reviewing the original build post it is obvious that there is possibly more rust throughout the car that may not be observed at this time but it is there. That thought will be in every potential buyers mind now and forever. Previous rust may be acceptable in purchasing an ultra rare MB, Porsche or BMW but not in a w126 sedan.

As far as my experience offering and selling cars on BaT: Due to the fact their niche of providing sales at higher prices than any other channel the amount of submittals are huge and they are overwhelmed with sellers attempting to list their cars. Unlike other marketing venues BaT does follow up on every sale to build a database of buyers and sellers possibly classifying them as good or bad. Even with all the effort to require transparency from sellers there are still some bad apples. This is an everyday challenge for the BaT staff but nowhere near the Chaos of what happens on Ebay or other marketing tools. My prediction is that within the next few years BaT will require a PPI on most cars marketed on their website. As this is relevant to me as a seller on BaT my latest submittal has been in their Q for about a month and will be listed (hopefully) in the next few days. My submittal is one of the best examples of w126 sedans I have ever witnessed. It's a 41k, 2 owner 500SEL that is absolutely stunning. 100+1% dead stock and I have personally touched/inspected nearly every inch of this car. Every service record, the original delivery window sticker, manuals, service booklet, hang cards, metal data plate etc. This car was submitted with a low reserve to expedite my listing. Now I need to put on my marketing hat for the week it is up and be prepared to answer any and all questions quickly and in a professional manner. That is a job in its own. I would have no idea how to defend/answer all the critics questions/opinions on the OP's car if listed on BaT especially if they are directed to his build thread.

The good news is the OP has mentioned that he is in no hurry to sell his car. And as my younger brother that has been in the car business 30+ years has told me "there is an a** for every seat"
Best of luck selling this nice 91 black on black 560SEL. Greatest road trip car ever! Mike

·
Registered
Too many to list
9,419 Posts
The horse may already be out of the cart , but the build thread with all the rusty undercarriage pics will turn off anyone willing to pay more than 10k for a car . Even if all the rust was addresed, as BAT buyers will demand undercarriage pics .

·
Registered
560SEL 560SEC 300SEL E320 Cab. MB Metris Van / 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406 (Gone)
2,348 Posts
The horse may already be out of the cart , but the build thread with all the rusty undercarriage pics will turn off anyone willing to pay more than 10k for a car . Even if all the rust was addresed, as BAT buyers will demand undercarriage pics .
I think the milk was spilt under the bridge before he crossed it. I'd agree with your assessment of 10k on BAT as is not knowing the value of the wheels sold separately.

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Great feedback from all. Very insightful. Has reminded me to make sure I take photos of all aspects of the trunk with carpet peeled back or removed to show condition of metal surfaces back there. I also need to take a couple hours and wipe down under the hood. No plans to pressure wash nor detail. Will just wipe down thoroughly with a few damp rags. And of course will get detailed under car pics once up on a lift. The engine is so smooth I need to figure out best way to prove that. Perhaps glass of water on top of air intake or on top of dash while idling in video along with closeup of the tach needle at idle.

Took her out for her once a month drive yesterday to get up to full op temperature. Snapped a couple of basic non edited photos. Nothing professional and not the most flattering outdoor sunlight at the time but to quote a certain someone “it is what it is”. 😎

9DF87D3B-6F3B-4FCF-94F5-FF01EDA3B826.jpeg

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Don't wipe down a black hood unless you like scratches

·
Registered
5,592 Posts

have a look at this car and when it was previous on bat

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Single stage paint seems to be even more susceptible to this. One time I used detailing mist/spray and a new microfiber. Lightly. Still introduced very faint micro scratches. Easily removed
Under the hood = the engine bay. 😊

·
Registered
Too many to list
9,419 Posts
Without those wheels and clear corners he might get that price on bat .

with those wheels and clear corners I’d say $15,000 tops. Yes these idiot buyers will take off thousands when they see eBay modifications, not realizing the stock items can be put on for $500 .

this is what the small pool of high end w126 buyers want to see on a euro appearance car- dark amber euro corners and stock rims

·
Registered
560SEL 560SEC 300SEL E320 Cab. MB Metris Van / 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406 (Gone)
2,348 Posts
I think $15k is about right. Nice finish.

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Sold today. Full asking price. Buyer from the DC area (about 90 mins from me). We Met at local Benz dealer near me who did a PPI at buyers request/cost. Passed ppi with flying colors. Then we went for a test drive which sealed the deal. this article (which I wasn’t even aware of until a friend saw it) captured much attention.

The Devil is in the Detail(ing): Black on Black 1991 560SEL w/62k Miles

Buyer Contacted me via one of my Craigslist ads I had posted.
Enjoyed my time here on the forum. Appreciate all of the feedback and opinions on the sale and obviously tech support over the years.

Also: my opinion: Some of you may be undervaluing market for w126’s. I received many inquiries (below asking price) and was fully prepared and expecting this sale to take many weeks, to get the buyer I needed to pay what I felt was appropriate. In the end, took less than two weeks. Buyer was happy and I’m pleased.

Final photo from this morning at dealer, attached. Thanks all!

·
Registered
1991 560sec. 1991 560sel 1969 280SL
1,468 Posts
Congratulations, well prepared and well presented, well done.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
congrats,
the guys at thembmarket and youngtimersgarage on instagram have been really promoting a lot of great MB online...

21 - 40 of 43 Posts