Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all
Mentioned earlier this summer that I most likely planned to sell my car, and Im getting closer to that time. Plan is to possibly list on BAT, but want to make the offer here first on the forum in case anyone happens to be interested in a 560 but not interested in doing all the work that most on the market will need.

Few notes:
- Selling simply because Im finding that Im not driving the car much at all anymore. It was a refresh project that I enjoyed doing. Spent FAR more hours refreshing the car than I did driving. And the project was a blast/enjoyable. But Im not one for letting a car just sit in the garage unused most of the time, when someone else can get enjoyment.
- Not going to spend a ton of time on this post detailing what already exists in the long build thread I did. But in short, starts/runs/drives great. 100% of everything works, with the only exception being the smog/secondary air pump being disconnected/not functional. As anyone here knows, that pump is simply for emissions reduction on cold start up. Yes, Sunroof and SLS both work flawlessly.
-No I dont have pics of the undercarriage but will try to get some in the coming weeks. (Friend owns a garage but getting time on his lift can be challenging). But rest assured, looks fine/normal. But not concours.(See the mods done to the car).
-No I dont have cold start videos and all that BAT seems to require, but if seriously interested, I can make videos of cold start, hot start, driving, etc. But the engine fires up fine, idles smoothly.
-I have the rear OE USA bumper in the garage, but not the front. I do not have the original wheels. I do have the original becker head unit as well. Thats it for parts.

If SERIOUSLY interested, I ask that you please review the thread listed below first to see all that has been done. Its documented there. Virginia State Inspection was done August 2020. (Not even required in VA for vehicles that old, but I didnt like the required Antique tag, so I always kept regular tags which required regular VA state inspections). Also if seriously interested, PM me to discuss a sale privately. However, if anyone is curious about my bottom line price range, Based on Hagerty's online insurance price guide, I dont consider the car "concours" level, but consider it the next level down which Hagerty refers to as "good" condition(which is above their "fair" condition ranking). As such, pricing will be commensurate with the "good" range.

Link to the cars history

·
Registered
560SEL 560SEC 300SEL E320 Cab. MB Metris Van / 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406 (Gone)
2,349 Posts
Maybe I'm just dense. Is this a car for sale with no photos and no price?

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as indicated in the post:

"....most likely planning to sell my car, and Im getting closer to that time..."

Also, tons of photos and details in the thread that I linked in the post. Also as indicated in the thread, If anyone just so happens to be in the market and is seriously interested in a 560SEL now, can PM me for discussion. But primary plan is to prep to attempt (they dont accept every submission) to list on BAT within the next several weeks.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC
2,693 Posts
I'll start by saying that I am not interested in purchasing another car so I am just an observer. That being said, I would also add that I too expect a seller to post few pictures at the time of sale and does not keep the price a secret. Esteemed member Magicbigdaddy is just one example.

At any rate, few things you may want to consider adding in that restoration thread of yours that any educated buyer would ask about:
1. How much paint is left on the car after that polishing (you will need an ultrasonic gauge)
2. Pictures of the rear windshield lower corners restoration steps and final results
3. A list of all alterations the car has in its final configuration

I wish you good luck in selling your car, but the mileage is not always everything. If you make it to BAT, bring your biggest guns and be prepared for a hard battle with the readers. Not everybody on BAT is a huge "Miami Vice fan" (your post #8). I think it would be much easier for you to sell it here.

Hint: There was a gentleman here, not long ago, looking for a black 560SEL. Can't remember details, but hopefully somebody with better memory does.

·
Registered
560SEL 560SEC 300SEL E320 Cab. MB Metris Van / 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406 (Gone)
2,349 Posts
as indicated in the post:

"....most likely planning to sell my car, and Im getting closer to that time..."

Also, tons of photos and details in the thread that I linked in the post. Also as indicated in the thread, If anyone just so happens to be in the market and is seriously interested in a 560SEL now, can PM me for discussion. But primary plan is to prep to attempt (they dont accept every submission) to list on BAT within the next several weeks.

Thanks
No offense intended, but if you are gonna sell it, set a price and put a link to a photo only archive. I have bought several of these cars and even some sight unseen. But there are limits.

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,446 Posts
No one is going to want to buy a car from a guy giving you links and making you look for info and pics. This guy should edit his first post with relevant information.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
15,033 Posts
I think the intention was a pre sale heads up.

Shame you're selling it, OP. But yeah they do like to be driven.

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the intention was a pre sale heads up.

Shame you're selling it, OP. But yeah they do like to be driven.
Correct in your assessment.

And yes, I will definitely miss her, but was definitely a fun project. Getting to be time for someone else to enjoy her.

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC
2,693 Posts
FYI: On Hagerty the next level down below Concourse in not Good, is Excellent. Below is what Hagerty lists for a 1991 560SEL. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
FYI: On Hagerty the next level down below Concourse in not Good, is Excellent. Below is what Hagerty lists for a 1991 560SEL. Good luck!
View attachment 2651392
View attachment 2651393
View attachment 2651394
thanks very much for the clarification and information. After reading your details, definitely confirms my initial assessment of one level down from concours, based on the criteria shown. And yes, I do see that is the“Excellent” category.

and yes, I also understand that some may feel that the wheels may make it “poor”, in their opinion

Will see how things pan out once she officially hits the market.

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,446 Posts
After finding pics I really really recommend seller list some here. My goodness.

And those wheel are a major plus in my view. Killer.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I wish you good luck too because you are gonna need it. That restoration thread is like your cousin trying to fix you up with her friend who lost 120 pounds and now looks pretty good. If she shows you 10 of her "before" photos its gonna spoil the whole thing.

People here will appreciate the work you put in and the results and maybe even some of the mods. BAT? Not so much.

·
Registered
1991 560sec. 1991 560sel 1969 280SL
1,472 Posts
I knew an old guy, Alex. He worked in the used car department at a dealership back in the seventies. I saw him one day spraying paint over rust in the boot/trunk and I asked him what he was doing, his reply “spraying shit over shit to make it look good”. Somehow I don’t think you can squeeze the piss out of shit.

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC
2,693 Posts
After reading your details, definitely confirms my initial assessment of one level down from concours, based on the criteria shown. And yes, I do see that is the“Excellent” category.
I don't want to rain on your parade, but I don't see your car in the excellent category by Hagerty standards, or at best at the very bottom of that category. It may look in excellent condition to you and I am sure you put passion in what you did, but just because it is shiny (and that indeed it is) doesn't mean is in excellent condition. The local or regional shows Hagerty is referring to is not some Sunday Cars and Coffee show, it refers to Concours Shows where preserved cars, in excellent original condition are presented. Based on the type of crowd that hangs around at BAT and its expectations, I think you'd have more success on EBay.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
15,033 Posts
It's absolutely gorgeous, the mileage and garage kept condition will help enormously. Who could not fall for a car like that, it's very desirable to my mind at least.
BAT does seem to pick things apart to the nth degree, although I've not seen too much of the 'peanut gallery' effect there when I've looked. Just very thorough. Which may mean the honest disclosure of rust you fixed will mar the sale.

The trouble is, I heard on here they don't accept cars that have been on ebay already. Which is a bit odd.

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks all. Appreciate all of the comments, negative and positive. I truly do. Gives full perspective.

Ianrandom: Wasnt aware that BAT declines cars that were previously on ebay. (Ive never listed on ebay, but that's where I found it when I purchased it). If true, that will rule out BAT. But I'll still check with them to be sure. If they decline, I may check out Doug Demuro's new auction site. Seems to be growing in popularity.

As far as concerns about the work done, that doesnt concern me. Ive learned that for every car, there is a buyer. And it only requires one buyer. And just as many appreciate seeing the evolution, parts used, work done, as those who most likely would be concerned by it.

I've also seen many of the BAT auctions where persons who aren't bidding or even considering buying take LOTS of personal time critiquing and attacking the cars in the BAT comments section. (which I find, interesting. But to each his own as to how they spend their time). In fact, many of the negative comments on the recent black 560 SEC on BAT were fairly harsh there and even more so on this forum. (The "fake" wheels, the clear ebay lights front and back, the painted bumpers/chrome, the deviation from stock, etc). But yet it still was bid up to $27k. (which many non-bidders in the comments section found to be absurdly high for that car in that condition).

What Ive found over the years: A used car is simply worth...what a buyer will pay at that time. It really is a simple as that.

Also, Im really under no pressure to sell. (Except from the wife who kinda wants to use the garage space for her pending new car!). Like anything else, once I place it up for sale, if I dont get what Im looking for? I'll simply...not sell now. Fortunately Im in a place financially where I dont need to sell her. And for that, Im thankful.

Again, I do appreciate all of the perspectives. Keep em coming

·
Registered
298 Posts
There is no rule at BaT that they won't accept a car if it was previously on eBay. They will require that any online ads be taken down if they accept it.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
15,033 Posts
Excellent, in that case maybe an ebay ad would be the way to go first then to get a feeler. Either way, beautiful car, GLWS.

Reactions: lesguy
1 - 20 of 43 Posts