Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 C-230, 07 C-280 4matic
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately we must sell our 1986 280GE 5 Door and wanted to put it on the forum before putting it in the Washington Post for the general public.

1986 280GEL, 4-speed auto, A/C, power 5-door locks, power windows, 5-door with leaterette (grey) and brown exterior. 86,000 miles, 4,000 miles on new tires & brakes. In Dash DVD with 1000 watt sound system with sub-woofer. As you are all aware, I just had the gas tank restored, new filters, lines, fuel pump. It was just completely serviced with all fluids, belts, wire sets. It is in great shape and runs great. I just had Mitch's Automobile (fellow G-owner and Mercedes shop owner) go over the whole vehicle and recommended tightening the front bearings, but otherwise gave the vehicle a clean bill of health.

Here is the VIN info:
VIN VAG46023317902393
Model 280GE284X4
Chassis 46023317902393
Engine 110994 12 002320
Transmission 720109 10 016093
Order 6 5 597 07466
Approx. year not defined
Dealer Steyr Puch (597)

We live in Bethesda Maryland and the it can be test driven here. It is currently licensed in Illinois as we are military and Illinois is my home of record. E-mail me and I can send photos. I will be able to put photos on this string in the morning, but thought I would get the word out.

It hurts to say goodbye to our G.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RE: Selling my 1986 280GE - pics added

It doesn't have the Cal Emisions as far as I can tell. I am going to ask $18,300 in the paper, but looking for no less than $16,800 which is a bargain with all the extras with the professional installation. I will attach a few photos and can send specific ones. Two small rust bubles, one on drivers side door sill at the seam (about 2 cm long) and another on the rear door, on the right, just under the lateral side of the Mercedes emblem (under it, about 3 cm long.

Hope the pics help all

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's another rear view pic. The sub-woofer has a six foot line and can be moved around the cabin to help loading concerns. The amps (there are two, only one is pictured, are permanently mounted under the back seat. The wiring for all is integrated and professionally installed. Driving at 60 miles per hour, you can watch a movie and hear the movie with no problems. The AV set up is really an outstanding add. All the rubber is in great shape as well, no leaks.

More photos later. Best offer. We plan to wait a few weeks until putting it in the paper. I sent the information to www.clubwagen.com and hopefully it will post there. We put it there for 18K OBO.

Thanks

·
Registered
300GD 500SL 300E
232 Posts
Is that the orignal grill with crome tape strips? I like it.

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Why the quick turn?

I inspected this one for a guy when it was for sale in Boulder last fall. It's a decent truck and I'd say the asking price is fair. Just curious what's got you turning it over so quick?

It also had a thorough engine overhaul last summer by the best MB mechanic I know, for what that's worth.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts
RE: Selling my 1986 280GE - pics added

my man, i have a friend in charolettsville, va that was looking for a g. let me call him before you put it in the post. if anything else see if sean down at eurotrucks will sell it for you. i would hate top see a g get in the wrong hands in our area...it will have 20" spinners on it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RE: Why the quick turn?

Thanks for the background information on the G and the engine work. The work was truly fantastic and the engine runs great. Regarding the turn around, we absolutely love the vehicle, but we are military and want to purchase our retirement home. The luxury of the third vehicle and dealings with a mortgage broker...clash. The 1986 G is great and this particular one has a large amount of luxury, but I think that we will move to a 2000 Europa G after we get the house for a bit more luxury trim. We don't personally maintain ours, so having a more modern version will be good for us.

Long and short...this is a suberb vehicle for someone in the market. All systems operational and all required maintenance completed.

Again, thanks for the additional information.

Take care,

weberdocs

·
Registered
'91 G300D SWB Manual, '99 ML320 7 seater
827 Posts
RE: what a sweet machine!

4x4abc - 3/20/2005 10:08 PM
what a sweet machine!
Agreed

But in the interest of fairness, the truck is a re-badged Puch and the electric windows and the seats trim do not appear to be original.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RE: what a sweet machine!

Tis true, it is a re-badged Puch G. Didn't know about the non-original windows, but regardless, they work great.

If anyone is interested, they can use the VIN with the precursor alpha code and go to the russian site which gives VIN information on all G's, including all standard options. I will try to run it again regarding the windows. Technology is fun and learning more about G's is fun too.

Undercarraige and engine pictures coming soon.

Take care,

weberdocs

mortinson - 3/20/2005 7:02 PM

4x4abc - 3/20/2005 10:08 PM
what a sweet machine!
Agreed

But in the interest of fairness, the truck is a re-badged Puch and the electric windows and the seats trim do not appear to be original.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New Pictures and Agreed about Puch

Here are some additional photos and yes, it is a Puch G. Good to hear about the additional information regarding the seats and electric window. I will check the VIN on the Mercedes info site to see if they were original equipment.

More photos available by request

Attachments

·
Registered
'91 G300D SWB Manual, '99 ML320 7 seater
827 Posts
RE: New Pictures and Agreed about Puch

weberdocs - 3/22/2005 12:12 PM
... yes, it is a Puch G.
How inconsiderate of (I assume) a previous owner to rebadge the truck as a Mercedes, when it looks so much better as a Puch.

But in any case it can always be returned to originality with a set of badges....

Good luck with the sale.

Cheers

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gonna Keep our G - just can't part with it

Just putting the word out regarding our G.

We don't mean to be fickle, but my wife and I have decided to keep our G-wagen. Our plans for a retirement home will have to wait just a bit.

It truly is a great vehicle and we just can't part with it right now. Over the last two days my wife and I have traded days driving it to work and enjoyed it too much to part with it.

There is a certain "farfignugen" (spelling is wrong) that happens each time we drive the G that is just infectious. We are not sure if the newer version will have the same appeal and we now know this G in and out.

Thanks for the comments and the input.

Sincerely,

weberdocs

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Fahrvergnügen!

weberdocs - 3/22/2005 7:42 PM

Just putting the word out regarding our G.

We don't mean to be fickle, but my wife and I have decided to keep our G-wagen. Our plans for a retirement home will have to wait just a bit.

It truly is a great vehicle and we just can't part with it right now. Over the last two days my wife and I have traded days driving it to work and enjoyed it too much to part with it.

There is a certain "farfignugen" (spelling is wrong) that happens each time we drive the G that is just infectious. We are not sure if the newer version will have the same appeal and we now know this G in and out.

Thanks for the comments and the input.

Sincerely,

weberdocs
Congrats on your decision; and you're right that there is most definitely a tremendous amount of "Driving Pleasure" (Fahrvergnügen) like no other with the G.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts