Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1980 450sl
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!,

I am new to this form and thought that I would ask those who own the SL for some info. My mthr-in-law is selling her '80 450SL w/ 37k orig miles and I was wondering the best way to sell it. It is all original and she has the hardtop for it as well. I'm not sure if this vehicle is considered a classic due to its relatively recent age and body style. I have been surfing a couple of sites and was able to get the build info for her VIN w/ options installed.

My main question is for those who purchase these vehicles, what do you look for when you pay top dollar (aside from being detailed, cleaned, and service history) ie... color of interior/exterior more/less desirable?, rims original?, when in that model year was it manufactured??

I appreciate any and all input as I am located in VA but the car is located in NY. . .

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
59 Posts
wolke...since the car has such low mileage,think about listing it with MBCA.org,Star magazine,trading post.The cars listed there tend to be very well maintaned and listed for high dollars.

I look for good paint(saves a few thousand)and a good interior(saves a few more thousand).Next would be very good records of meticulous maintenace by a caring owner.Mechanical concerns can be corrected but rust will break your heart.

There are many internet listing sites...too numerous for here.Try oursl.com,or hemmings.com or the old standby,ebay.

Good luck,ch7ckc

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
Put it on Ebay with a high reserve and see if you get any nibbles. The highest bid you get is probably what the car is worth.

I have heard 79 and 80 are collectible for some reason, can't remember why. A car with that kind of miles and an owner who probably never pushed it very hard is good merchandise for the enthusist market so the advice on listing it on enthusist sites is a good one. The negative on the car is that 450s get terrible gas mileage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts