Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just picked up a C32 for a steal of a deal. Ok Km's, good service record, good motor, just one big problem.

When the car is sitting, driving, in neutral... Etc. The steering wheel will move from side to side on its own, you can actually see it turn the wheels from outside the car when it's parked.

The previous owner replaced the rack and claims that there aren't any codes being thrown, but yet the problem is there. I'm planning on just starting with replacing the pump and going from there.

Just wanted to check to see if anyone else had seen this sort of thing before or if anyone had any advice to offer before I get started.

Much appreciated,
-e

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wait the car turns the wheels on its own as its sitting??
Yes sir it does. I believe it's only when there is a "load" on the system though. Whether that be a slight incline in the road or a hand placed on the wheel, Otherwise when holding the wheel straight or not moving it it doesn't force itself from side to side.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
OMG ,,,It's possessed !

Seriously ,,,must be something wrong with the rack in my opinion.
Don't bother replacing the pump ,,,it is fine.
Inside the rack and pinion valve there is a torsion bar ,,,it may have snapped or is not fixed at either end , causing power to be exerted when positioned off centre ,causing alternating movement.

You need the steering rack to be either repaired or replaced entirely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
Benzyle
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing