Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a while back I posted a DIY and suggested that hacking the Becker cassette circuit was digital.
I got that information here: The following are steps it took to install Ipod aux input on factory Becker 3309 Mercedes head unit (used 1999 - 2002 model year) for free. I believe this is called a tape deck hack since a blank tape has to be put in for the input to work. This method will give you crystal clear digital sound WITHOUT FM modulator interference and you get to keep stock look that no one wants to steal. Also, steering wheel volume controls remain as well as the obsolete CD changer.

Several members suggested that the imput was analog and not digital. In any case it works perfectly and allows powered Bluetooth through the
OEM headunit and was inexpensive. Complete DIY instructions previously posted.

In any case still wondering whether the imput is analog as several vehemently suggested or digital as mentioned above?

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,196 Posts
a while back I posted a DIY and suggested that hacking the Becker cassette circuit was digital.
I got that information here: The following are steps it took to install Ipod aux input on factory Becker 3309 Mercedes head unit (used 1999 - 2002 model year) for free. I believe this is called a tape deck hack since a blank tape has to be put in for the input to work. This method will give you crystal clear digital sound WITHOUT FM modulator interference and you get to keep stock look that no one wants to steal. Also, steering wheel volume controls remain as well as the obsolete CD changer.

Several members suggested that the imput was analog and not digital. In any case it works perfectly and allows powered Bluetooth through the
OEM headunit and was inexpensive. Complete DIY instructions previously posted.

In any case still wondering whether the imput is analog as several vehemently suggested or digital as mentioned above?
Provide the link you REFER to.
Then members can review and provide some comments based on your claim. :)

You've only got 6 posts showing on this forum, and none of them discuss your DIY post on this matter. Am I missing something? :unsure:

·
Registered
96 E320
177 Posts
@SteveHawaii, do you mean this thread?

DIY Ipod auxillary input on 2000-2002 Benz Radio w/PICS

I think the left and right connection to the tape circuit inside the radio is probably analog. Isn't there a digital to analog converter (DAC) in the ipod? I think it needs one for the headphone jack. Not sure about the 30-pin conector "line out", though.

Edit: After reading more on the 30-pin interface, I think you will need a DAC between it and some RCA left and right connections. I suspect that the 30-pin to RCA cables have a DAC built-in. Most going for high quality audio will get a separate DAC to go between the ipod and the preamp (or receiver). I used to do something similar with my laptop playing flac and mp3 files on my stereo. I had laptop -> USB isolator -> DAC -> preamp setup a while ago.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Provide the link you REFER to.
Then members can review and provide some comments based on your claim. :)

You've only got 6 posts showing on this forum, and none of them discuss your DIY post on this matter. Am I missing something? :unsure:
Yes, I was locked out of my original account due to log in issues as many have experienced.
Did not receive timely help from moderators so just opened new account.
The original post was under mauipaul if memory serves.
It showed detailed working hack with wired USB charging and bluetooth all working.

That was not the reason for post at all. I was simply requesting clarification on whether the hack is digital or analog as the post I referenced suggests digital. Don't actually know and was requesting clarification on whether the hack referenced is digital or analog.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,196 Posts
Yes, I was locked out of my original account due to log in issues as many have experienced.
It showed detailed working hack with wired USB charging and bluetooth all working.

That was not the reason for post at all. I was simply requesting clarification on whether the hack is digital or analog as the post I referenced suggests digital. Don't actually know and was requesting clarification on whether the hack referenced is digital or analog.
understood now. ;)
link to your original post(s) ?

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,195 Posts

If it is tied to the output of the cassette tape part, it is analog.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Though I never even used the cassette and the whole point was to achieve a good quality
powered Blue Tooth connection for audio and hands free calling. That was achieved and cheaply
while retaining the stock appearance. Also had additional USB charge port for cell phone...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts