Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
300TD-T
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i installed a used pair of rear struts and they feel like they are full of air--no shock damping action at all. need to know the procedure for bleeding air from these shock units and possibly a source for aftermarket replacements. any advice much appreciated.

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Self-leveling system

There are several components to this system. Just replacing the fluid self-leveling shocks is half of the solution. There are also some "compensators" that go into this system taht will give you a smooth ride. They are not that expensive, but quite essential for a smooth ride. I don't have the part number but they resemble the old parts that were made of brass that would raise with the water level in the back of a commode. I'm serious! These are much heavier of course and larger. If you look in some of the exploded diagrams, you can see them. Installation is quite simple, but you will need a rack. If you can't find the part number, let me know and I will try to locate it. I've had to repair three of these!
[:D]

·
Registered
300TD-T
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Self-leveling system

There are several components to this system. Just replacing the fluid self-leveling shocks is half of the solution. There are also some "compensators" that go into this system taht will give you a smooth ride. They are not that expensive, but quite essential for a smooth ride. I don't have the part number but they resemble the old parts that were made of brass that would raise with the water level in the back of a commode. I'm serious! These are much heavier of course and larger. If you look in some of the exploded diagrams, you can see them. Installation is quite simple, but you will need a rack. If you can't find the part number, let me know and I will try to locate it. I've had to repair three of these!

·
Registered
300TD-T
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Self-leveling system

·
Registered
300TD-T
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hydraulic struts

thanks for your help Ed Mclass. i just get the feeling that these units are full of air because they are totally slack like no shocks at all!! tonight is our annual fantasy fest "celebration" here in key west so everyone in town is a bit blasted including yours truly, but i would like to know the part # for those "compensators" that you mention. is there a source for workshop manual information that you can give me? much appreciated. B.

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Take a look at photo

The part is designated as an "accumulator cell" by Mercedes-Benz. Take a look at the photo on this site, www.gapa.com, they are quoting a price of $86.35 per unit. These are what makes the ride smooth, not the hydraulic system which only levels up the rear under heavy loads. Click on "Mercedes" and go to your year and model. Look under "suspension." The photo there will show you what they are.

·
Registered
300TD-T
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
apreciated your help with my "bouncing like a yo-yo" rear end. so you are saying that the so called shock unit is only a lift device and provides no damping action? i understand that the damping action is taking place in the accumulator so that means i need 2 new accumulator units? do i have this right? thanks again!!

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
apreciated your help with my "bouncing like a yo-yo" rear end. so you are saying that the so called shock unit is only a lift device and provides no damping action? i understand that the damping action is taking place in the accumulator so that means i need 2 new accumulator units? do i have this right? thanks again!! Yes, you are correct, one each side.

·
Registered
300TD-T
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks loads!! I replaced those accumulators and the old girl rides like a mercedes-benz again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.