Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Current: 1987 560 SEC US, former factory trained MB tech 10 years, owner of 14 others.
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The one I am buying but have not picked up yet has it. The oil reservoir is empty, and yet it drives fine. I have not been underneath it yet, but I suspect regular shocks are installed.

What is typically the first thing to go on that system? Struts leaking, bad hoses, or? Is there a diagnostic in the tech section here on that?

Thanks!
Mark

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,805 Posts
You should be able to detect if the suspension has been retrofitted by 1) non hydraulic shocks; 2) normal coil springs

Typically, the higher failure items are the hydropneumatic shocks; the nitrogen cells and then the engine driven pump.

·
Registered
Current: 1987 560 SEC US, former factory trained MB tech 10 years, owner of 14 others.
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Answers like that are why I am glad to be here. Thank you sir! I did notice that the muffin-pump (looks like one to me) is about $1k. I see why people took the cheap route.

About 15 years ago, I had 3 300sel 109s with the air suspension. Two of them I obtained out of a junkyard in Atlanta and drove them home after bringing all my air suspension parts with me. My nickname then became Lazarus. The 300s that literally rose from the dead, lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts