Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 S500
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2001 S500. I love it. I have the motorola Timport phone and it integrates very nice with the car.
My question is; if I have three entries for John Dow. One is his cell number, the other is his house number, and the last is the work number. If I read the phone book from the COMAND and find the person's name, how can I select to call his Cell, Home, or Work? Is there any other way to select one of these numbers without opening the cell phone itself?

Do I need a firmware upgrade for my COMAND? Is there one for my car?

I do appreciate any help.
Thanks,

Joe.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,067 Posts
jgazala,

I thought I'd share with the forum an edited version of the reply I sent to your PM - it could help someone else.

I believe the COMAND phone book displays only the first number when you use multiple numbers for one name. I got around it by using separate name listings for each number (e.g., Andi cell, Andi work, Andi home).

There is a firmware update; however, I have found my local dealership very reluctant to install it. My car is of course out of warranty, and the dealer says if something went wrong I would have to bear the cost of replacing the COMAND.

This is important because my firmware was updated in 2003 (though I don't know what version in sequence - i.e., whether it was the very latest) - to fix an audio dropout problem. After the update, my Nav system no longer worked. The dealer had to replace it. When they did, the Nav was inaccurate - ultimately because the dealer did not program it for my stock wheels!! This is not the tire setting you can do yourself, it's programming they do with their STAR computer.

So, I don't trust the knowledge of the local dealer's telematics tech to be able to recover from any problem occurring during or from a firmware update. But, the system is upgradeable. The firmware disc has a tool part number; it is not available through the parts dept, and must be ordered (about $35) through the maintenance shop. The lack of information from Mercedes as to the latest compatible update for various versions of COMAND is absolutely maddening.

Glad you like your car - I love mine too, despite its reliability problems (which seem to decrease as time goes by). If you ever decide you want to upgrade your TimePort phone, be sure to see the writeup at http://www.benzworld.org/publications/pub.asp?id=317 (unless you have seen it already). The MikBox is an inexpensive and reliable way to replace outdated MB-branded phones with modern non-MB Motorolas.

·
Registered
03' SL500
180 Posts
The easiest way to overcome this is to add another 2 entries into the phone memory such as: JonD Cell, JonD Work, etc. Then you can use the scrolling feature. If you have a lot of people that you need to do then it is a diffent story.
Glenn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts