Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 C280
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking into getting another Benz (previous 190 & C Class owner) and I am seeking some advice. I was looking into a late 1980’s – early 1990’s 300E or 400E as these are some of the best Benzes ever made IMO. My preference is for the 400 engine for the few extra horses it has over the 300, but most of the coupes that I’ve seen are 300s. I have seen very few cars available locally w/ complete service history. On most, I’m lucky if I can get the history from the previous owner. Knowing that the car I am looking at is approx 15 years old +/- there will be some necessary maintenance given its age. I am working with a fixed budget, but all cars I am looking at fall within that budget – some leave room for additional repairs, some don’t leave as much room.

For the purposes of this question let’s assume the following:

1) All cars have approx 150K miles, bit no service history available.
2) All cars I am looking at are in good shape cosmetically and appear to be well maintained (interior, exterior, etc.).
3) No noticeable mechanical problems found on visual and test drive inspection.

Would I be better off buying a less expensive (i.e. earlier model) and using the additional funds for routine/preventative maintenance (gaskets, seals, wiring harness, timing chain, etc…), or should I get as much car as I can afford and go from there?

Personally I like to know the vehicles history and starting from scratch this may not be possible, therefore if I have the work done myself then I will know where the car stands mechanically.

·
Registered
94 E420
132 Posts
I don’t think they made a W124 coupe with a V8?

I recently purchased a 94’ E420 --- I love the V8 power [8)]

I would purchase the best car you can afford, but still allow a few bucks for preventive maintenance such as changing ALL fluids, filters, brakes, etc.

I would be leery of a car in so-so condition as people who don’t take care of the physical appearance of their cars usually don’t bother with proper maintenance…..just my two cents worth.

Colorado

·
Registered
2006 S500 AMG Wifes Rig Hillbilly Girl 02 ML320
2,332 Posts
If ya don't buy the V8 yer gonna wish you had!![;)][;)][;)][;)][;)][;)][;)]

Smokie

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
400E is FANTASTIC!! by any standard.

Plan on replacing the wiring harness if the car has more than 90 or 100K miles...

·
Registered
1994 E320CE, E420, E320TE; 1991 300SE
50 Posts
For the record I own both a 1994 E420 and a 1994 E320CE. My coupe was purchased with 98,000 miles and I knew head gasket and wiring harness had to be replaced. I did both repairs and the car has been wonderful ever since. One year later I found a 1994 E420 with 111,000 miles with records. I knew the timing chain, oil injectors and head gasket had to be replaced. I did the repairs and it's been my daily driver ever since! Both cars are unique. The sedan is fast and handles better than I expected. The coupe is my "garage Queen" and only comes out on sunny days for cruising. It's OK off the line but at 3000 rpm and higher, what a blast of torque and sound! I am hooked on the Coupe's comfort and class!
My suggestion is assess what need's to be done with the vehicle of your choice, find a trustworthy mechanic, and go for it! I truly believe 400E's are driver's cars and 300CE/320CE's are collector's cars!
It's a win/win when you find the right one(s)!
dick mcd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts