Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone always tries to use the SEE as proof of Unimogs being unreliable. Are they really that bad? I figure it's an amazing German truck ruined by an American company. I don't personally have any experience with them.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Unimog Moderator
13,048 Posts
If its true. My guess would be inexperienced or poorly trained users beating the $#@% out of them. I see it with lots of equipment in oil field country, poorly maintained or rode hard and put away wet.

Doesn't matter if its a Lawn mower, golf cart, unimog, if its abused, it will get a rep for being unreliable.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If its true. My guess would be inexperienced or poorly trained users beating the $#@% out of them. I see it with lots of equipment in oil field country, poorly maintained or rode hard and put away wet.

Doesn't matter if its a Lawn mower, golf cart, unimog, if its abused, it will get a rep for being unreliable.
I would say poorly trained drivers and beating it up.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
565 Posts
Just another thought on the SEE's, they appear to all have extremely low hours and mileage for the age of them. I suspect leaving them sitting out in all the elements does not help once lubrication runs to the low spots and seals dry out over time, I would suspect a pile of trouble as moisture and air invade some places that are not designed as such. It wouldn't surprise me that if they were dropped out of aircraft for emplacement in some rugged places that this could also have an ill effect. MUD

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I have yet to see an SEE with any issues that were not caused by neglect, not being operated enough to keep lubrication, or just flat being misused. I have heard quite a few stories of constantly bending or breaking axle housings, portals seizing up, ect. The guys who were operating these units drove them like they stole them and that coupled with the fact that the truck is loaded to GVW with equipment is the reason they received a bad reputation. The SEE really should have been a U1600 or similar unimog with heavy duty two piece axles to handle the punishment that young military guys will give a piece of equipment, especially a backhoe that will run 45. When you ramp a 16,000 lb machine off of a dirt pile at 35, something has got to give...

FWIW the SEE without the equipment should be the most reliable of the series if you lump it in with 406 and 416 series of trucks... it had the latest om352 engine, best transmission (or at least most idiot proof), and axles that were essentially narrowed U1300L axles.

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Yeah what they said. If a 419 is unreliable a 406 is going to be more unreliable.

That's one of the main reasons Unimogs and US municipalities never mixed well. Operator ignorance. Abuse it till it breaks then auction it off and blame the vehicle.

·
Registered
790 Posts
It is amazing the track record difference between the Alberta vacuum truck U500s on the one hand and my single owner-operator owned U500 on the other. Yes, I have a Star computer, a complete wiring diagram, a CD parts list and a CD WIS (workshop manual) and a complete suite of spare parts. Most of the time none of which gets used, perhaps it is the idea that counts.

Charlie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts