Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have been researching, and reading your posts for nearly a year. I am ready to move from my '94 e420 (for sale BTW) to a w140. I am set on a s600 and ready for all the headaches it may bring. But here is my MAJOR question . . .

Sedan or Coupe????

I will be honest, I prefer the look of the coupe, but have only driven the sedan.

For those that have driven or owned both, please give me an opinion. Do they feel different going down the road. Do they make you feel different when you arrive at your destination? When you look over your shoulder after leaving the car, which do you love more?

If you had to start over would you go for a coupe or sedan??

Thank you in advance for your sage advice.

·
Registered
CL 500 // S 500 L // E 320 T
548 Posts
I have driven both, the sedan and the coupe (in both formats S/CL 500 and S/CL 600).

The coupe is definitely much better looking and more exclusive, but in terms of driving pleasure, NOTHING can beat the long wheelbase sedan. nothing!

I would sincerely base my final choice in setting my goals to find a good coupe with an impeccable history and extremely low mileage (and preferably 1998 or 1999). If nothing of the sort appears and a sedan shows up with those characteristics, I would not doubt for a second to buy it.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
I'd ask yourself how often you will use the back seats of the car, if not very much get the coupe. I'm usually the only one in the car or my girlfriend very rarely to I carry more than one other person. Then the coupe might make more sense.

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Do you need 4 doors, or 2? Keep in mind that the coupe is classified as a 2 door sedan. The rear seats have everything except for the doors and some leg room. The sedan is going to be much easier to find, because there were MANY more made.

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes 600 Coupe & 1995 500 Coupe, 2004 Yamaha R1 200hp 360 pounds
1,146 Posts
I have 2 coupes and obviously I am biased. You may not know this but the coupes are actually longer and wider then the sedans. The sedans are awesome but the coupes definately stand out and get more looks. The CL series is always and has always been MB flagship vehicle (meaning their top of the line and most expensive)...

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Do you need 4 doors, or 2? Keep in mind that the coupe is classified as a 2 door sedan.
The coupe is classified as a sedan? Why wouldn't a coupe be classified as a coupe? Why classify something a sedan after naming it coupe? Your assertion could use some substantiation.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
The coupe is classified as a sedan? Why wouldn't a coupe be classified as a coupe? Why classify something a sedan after naming it coupe? Your assertion could use some substantiation.
I think he might have been referring to the comfort of the rear seats.

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
I have a Coupe.. Dont know about the back seats.. or the passenger seat ....never sat in them..I just drive them around for free...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
You are joking of course?
Ya I was joking but not on the width part. The coupe is 74.6 wide but the sedan is 74.3. I wonder where the .3 is?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The coupe actually was classified a sedan (hense the title before 1998 was S600). It was considered the 2 door sedan until they changed the name to CL600. The badging was confusing because it started out as 600SEC to S600 coupe to CL600 coupe :confused:

And whats even more confusing is the new CLS 550. That is considered a 4 door coupe....... MB is on crack sometimes when they badge their cars lol

·
Registered
2014 CLS63S SB
1,164 Posts
The coupe actually was classified a sedan (hense the title before 1998 was S600). It was considered the 2 door sedan until they changed the name to CL600. The badging was confusing because it started out as 600SEC to S600 coupe to CL600 coupe :confused:

And whats even more confusing is the new CLS 550. That is considered a 4 door coupe....... MB is on crack sometimes when they badge their cars lol
Not really, The SEC I believe was S-Class Einspritz Coupe, the CL600 is Coupe Luxus, that is-luxury coupe. As for CLS I've yet to confirm what the remaining S is.

·
Registered
CL 500 // S 500 L // E 320 T
548 Posts

I have the original Mercedes-Benz catalogs for the C140 for every single year it was made from 1991 to 1998 in German, English (UK) and Spanish and all brochures clearly refer to it as the COUPE (regardless of the language, year made and badge -S 600 / CL 600-).

The "2 door sedan" is usually a legal term used by some countries to register the chassis type when the term coupe is not acceptable or recognized.

The "4 door coupe" term used for the CLS is basically a publicity stunt played the M.B. merchandising department to try to make a plain four door sedan look a little more sexy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I knew I would get some great opinions! So far I am hearing the coupe is the one. I don't really need the four doors as this will be mostly a play car. I mean a s(cl)600 really isn't huge the in practicality department.

What about the driving experience. Does the coupe feel any different going down the road?

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Vastly differnt..its has more presence and a bit more grrr about it.. Also I like the fact that when they look at me they are thinking "why does he need a car that big"

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Funny thing, but my wife keeps asking me why I need a car so big!

Sounding to me, like it is a slam dunk for the coupe.

·
Registered
1990 500SE
447 Posts
I would go for the coupe also. As stated earlier the 600 coupe is rarer and may be harder to find one in great shape or lower mileage.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I have a slightly used silver 95 500 coupe for sale :) make me an offer :)

·
Registered
2009 C300 Sport Sedan
9 Posts
Hello. I'm too trying to decide between a sedan or a coupe. As far as the driving experience, which feels more comfortable?. I drive about one hour to work and get stuck in traffic a lot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
COUPE VS SEDAN

DEAR friends,
I eliminate the 4 doors since it is too long for me.
Since the length of the coupe is shorter by 7 in, is it much easier to park and turn? Compare to W220 , which is easier to drive in heavy traffic and parking in town?

I am concern when driving in narrow roads and a heavy traffic. For me the length matter the most.

MB IDOL

1 - 20 of 25 Posts