Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Green '02 E320 Wagon
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(cross post with W210)
Can I get the female end of the wiring harness which plugs into the stock headunit, with raw wires on the other end? As if someone cut off the harness coming from their dashboard.

Can the power wires from the female harness power two headunits and how can I split the wiring?

I am considering adding a second headunit along side the Audio 30 in my E320 (same as SLK, so I'm told). My goal is to split the audio and power wires off the stock (female) harness so I can use the Bose amp and speakers. I have the Metra 70-1784 harness to convert the female harness to raw power and audio wires. RCA's will be soldered to the audio inputs.

Audio will be split by a "source switcher" that accepts two sets of RCA inputs and sends one RCA out to the amp. The second head unit has RCAs, but to keep the Audio 30, I'll need a female harness like the one coming out of the car. The other end will need raw wire that I can solder RCAs on to.

The Metra harness attached to the stock female harness coming from the dash provides raw wires for power. Do I need another box to split the power wires to the above mentioned female Audio 30 harness and the second headunit's ISO harness? Or can I just solder together two headunit power wires to the Metra power wires?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
Green '02 E320 Wagon
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're right, I don't much like the Audio 30; especially it's "soft" fade-in/fade-out between radio stations, and the annoying lag associated with it. But since my second deck doesn't have radio or CD (it's MP3 only), keeping the stock is a cheap solution for radio and CD.

In fact, I so much don't care about the CD/radio deck, I was going to mount it in the eyeglass compartment (remember, E320). Very odd, but still an idea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts