Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1991 420 SE 173K miles LPG "the Duchess"
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I've been searching high and low for a decent cream Gen 1 SEC interior, but couldn't get one anywhere... so I've settled for an early Gen 2 non memory, non heated set. C'est la vie!

I know with my current switches, I won't have the electric head rests; this is somthing I can live with 'till I get the Gen 2 wiring loom to the door and the later switches.

My question is; will the current switches with a six prong plug work with the eight prong socket on the seat? Ie; removed the two headrest wires and splice the remaining 6 to the switches 6 as a temporary fix? I'm running on the assumption as these are not memory, that this should be quite straight forward.

Am I right?

Many thanks,
Rex

·
Registered
'83 380SEC AMG'ed euro, '92 500SL, '91 190e 2.6 5-speed
2,389 Posts
I don't think it is plug-n-play but its not hard to reconfigure the switch. The main two wires in both gen1/2 are gray and orange (I've done this twice and that was the case). You'll need to take the plastic switch housing off our your old seat and rework the new seats wires into that housing. You can then tuck the not needed wires back and you'll be all set.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
Sadly I don't have the old seat to take the housing from, do you think there is a way I could connect the existing wires to the housing on the new seat?
What exactly do the gray and orange wires control?
Many thanks,
Rex

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The memory and non-memory seats are NOT interchangeable. Memory seats have controllers under them. Non-memory seats used the door switches to run the motors directly so they are LOTS beefier.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These arn't memory seats, neither were the ones that are being replaced- so am I right in thinking it should be a relatively easy DIY task, with a little time and faffing around?
Any tips?
Thanks,
Rex

·
Registered
'83 380SEC AMG'ed euro, '92 500SL, '91 190e 2.6 5-speed
2,389 Posts
The housing makes the install cleaner. You need the metal ends from the old, from what I remember the gen2 ends were smaller. Luckily, those connection ends are used all over the car so getting some new or used won't be hard. Once you solder the ends on (If necessary) you can plug the straight into the connection in the car. This will work for the time being until you source the housing. There has to be a breaker you can grab them from.

In regards to memory seats in a non-memory equipt car and vice versa, it possible. Youll have some extra wires you'll need to tuck away. Both times I've done this I've put memory equipt seats into non-memory cars. If you use the frames and motors that came in the car originally, it's very easy. Good luck.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks for the reply.
Will have a go at this later in the week when I drag the new seats to the storage unit on the other side of town. Sounds quite DIY'able, even only to get some adjustment.

Wiith the correct seat to door loom and new switch, it will be just plug in and play, right?

Many thanks again,
Rex

1 - 7 of 7 Posts