Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned a few SEC's. About 1/2 have had rear window delamintion. What's the history on this phenomenon ? None of my cars ever had rust at the bottom of the window area. Is this just a flaw from the supplier of the glass? Besides the obvious "not perfect look" is there really anything to be concerned about? I just picked up an absolutely pristine 91 SEC and the only flaw is the foggy corners of the rear glass. This car was garaged it's entire life. It is so clean my indie can't believe the overall condition. Any and all input is appreciated. Once I do my paint correction system I will post some pic's. Loaded with rear shade etc.

·
Registered
560 SEC
100 Posts
Mines all cloudy on both sides about half way up from the bottom.. Looks terrible.
I presume it's condensation induced, would love to know if there's a way to fix it, maybe a heat gun and a credit card to try and flatten the laminate back down?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,142 Posts
I wonder if its to do with the heating element being so cleverly integrated in there. Super high tech for the time, a lot of people still don't believe me when I say it has a heating element in there.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
It has to do with the adhesive used to laminate the two pieces of glass and the heating element and the fact that the rubber collects water. the lamnate sits in the water and that breaks down the adhesive and produces the fog.
I am always on the look out for SEC rear Glass when in the bone yards. Easiest and cheapest way to replace the glass.

·
Premium Member
560SEC, 190E, Frontier, 240Z
1,329 Posts
Same fogging occurs on heated laminated aircraft windshields. Its mostly unfixable. Tint them darker...

It is a tricky one to replace so living with it may be preferred.
Mine had a little corrosion in the corners when replaced after the window tinter cracked it trying to remove the old antenna mount I told him not to F-with.

·
Registered
1968 gto (sold) , 91 volvo 740, 89 $300TE, 89 560SEC
432 Posts
Mine was fogged on both sides at the bottom. On the drivers side it slowly crept up almost 6 inches. Drove me crazy. When i had it tinted; it was even more noticeable (to me anyway).

As Charley said, the pull-a-part is the way to go. I found a perfect one for $38.00 and cut it out. I sacrificed the seal as it took me a year and a half to find the glass locally.

I did not attempt to install myself. My body guy charged me $100.00 to r/r. That included a very minor rust repair, re-spraying the channel and sill area, blending, etc... Biggest cash outlay was for the new MB seal, $186.00 and $80.00 more for re-tinting the glass.

Best prevention is to not allow water to stand in the corners if at all possible.

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, that makes sense. I need to spend a little more time at the local boneyards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts