Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Euro 500SEC AMG, 83 SEC custom convertible, 2x 84 500SEC, 02 w203coupe, euro 1985 300d
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright i know that the 380 sec that i have does not handle as well as the 500sec that i used to have, even after lowering the car with h&r springs it still handles like a cow, any suggestions??? I know the rear swing arms are different but the old 500sec even with the crappy lowering job the last owner did to it by torching the springs was remarkably better, what about the swaybars are they different???

what shocks would you all suggest?? different sways, complete swing arm replacement---or just start over with a different car??? what should i do

right now this is the setup---sachs super shocks, h&r springs, 380 stock everything else ----

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
what year 500? some people like the antisquat, some don't.

·
Registered
1983 Euro 500SEC AMG, 83 SEC custom convertible, 2x 84 500SEC, 02 w203coupe, euro 1985 300d
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
had an 84 us 500sec, bought it in Miami and it looked as though the springs were torched to lower it there were no markings on the springs to my knowledge is sat way too low though and the tires always wearing on the inside-----the 380 i have now has a 500 engine in it not that it makes much of a difference

maybe the rims are too large and affecting the handling???

·
Registered
560 SEC
224 Posts
I found that the tyres make them sensitive.
I have tried Pirelli and they were no good in the wet on my 500SEC that was lowered and self levelling disconnected but with standard wheels and tyre size. Continentals were the best.
On my 560 SEC I have had it lowered but kept the self levellin =g and it suffers from too much camber so I tried Totos. There were terrible until last week when I had them turned around to wear out the other side. It must noe=w fit with the camber exactly because the road holding is very good. I am however going back to Continental and having the self levelling removed plus shorter stiffer shocks and I hope the camber problem will be cured. I am also going up to 285/35's on the back as they are the largest I can fit on my 18 inch rims. Complicatedbut I hope it gave you something to think about.

·
Registered
280GE 320TE 280SE 3.5 ML500
446 Posts
try replacing all your bushes ... suspention and body etc etc. can make a huge difference. bilstein make a great shock that will work well with your H&R springs. also if your running low then get a camber kit so you can dial out some of that negative camber.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i didn't know that they made a camber kit for our cars,where do you get them. i need to replace all the front bushings on my as well as the steering unit because it is wayyyy too loose for my liking, thanks for the info--------does the rear swing arms between the 380 500/560 setup make a difference????

·
Registered
1986 SEC 560
164 Posts
Your SEC is a convertible right? To the best of my knowledge there were no factory convertibles. So if your roof was cut off that would definitely effect the way the car handles by taking a lot of rigidity out of the body. If your last car was hard top your never going to get the convertible to handle of feel exactly like the coupe did.
Replacing the bushings and stiffer shocks might help though, and if your really industrious or know someone who is good at working with metal you might want to fab up a shock tower brace, they would tighten up the front.

·
Registered
280GE 320TE 280SE 3.5 ML500
446 Posts
ah .... if it is a rag top you are fighting a losing battle ... and yes you can get camber kits for 126. i've got one coming from the US. can't tell you the brand as my friend is an importer and i just ask if he could get it for me

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
KMAC, and yes, if your car is a chop top your pretty much SOL. Unless you engineer some sort of roll cage you'll never have the rigidity of the coupe.

Jonathan

·
Registered
Widebody SEC
774 Posts
excuse my ignorance but what is a camber kit for?

i lowered my SEC with eibach springs and koni shocks, had the dealership do a four-wheel alignment and everything is great. when would a camber kit be needed?

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,448 Posts
The camber kit is normally for the rear suspension. Unless you go quite radical on the lowering, the front suspension adjustment range is sufficient to put the front back into correct alignment. There is essentially no adjustments for the rear suspension so the lowering ends up with a negative camber (top of the tires tilted inward) at the back.

Personally I like the negative camber look on the rear. Since it will wear out the inside of the tires early, I've rationalized that going around corners quite fast will tend to wear out the outside edge of the tires, thereby balancing tire wear. :)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I figured that much cutting the top, it does handle more like a other onvertibles i have driven with a little flex. i really liked my old 500sec, guess i will have to graduate to a 560sec
---but thanks for the advise, it is after all a cruising the beach car (but i still like to tear it up once and a while)
I will look into more crossbracing on the undercarriage of the car,or maybe a strut tower being fabricated
however when i did the reinforcement on the uniframe it was all tucked away so it would look clean and factory , but ill se what i can do!

do blistien shocks hanle better than koni???? thinking of either one of those right now with the h&r springs and lowesr shim pads

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
I like Koni's better, because you set it exactly how you want it (way softer to a bit harder than bilstein).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts