Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess a rock took out two of my grill's slats. The hazards of the daily driver.

Turns out those giant, plastic paperclips are just about perfect for replacement pieces. Just needed a little Dremel work and touchup with a file.

It looks fantastic. You'll have to take my word for it due to the poor quality of my phone pics. Yes, that's a 1995 E420 in the background.

I'm less than amused by the bubbling chrome on my fairly new (six years old) grill. It is loosening up from the backing and I'm sure will begin peeling. Any ideas how to halt or prevent this?

Attachments

·
SuperModerator
13,202 Posts
Haha ingenious as ever Mike.

Bubbling chrome, really?? What's gone on there then, my SEC wears it's original grille which has some loose bits etc, but no bubbling.

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ian, it's hard to capture the wrinkling on camera but here are some pics.

The chrome seems to be coming detached from the plastic. Then dirt gets under and it continues to bubble until it cracks and peels.

I'm already starting to make plans to get some chrome tape and redo the whole thing.

But my first choice is that my six year old grill wouldn't fall apart.

Attachments

·
SuperModerator
13,202 Posts
I see it. Mental. I'd be tempted to complain to MB. As difficult as that would be.
So sad to see even MB parts decline in quality.

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
I accidentally dropped a spare one last week (i was moving some parts and placed it on a tall box to get it out of the way - bumped the box with my elbow later on and it went flying and shattered in a number of places)

These grille are very fragile and i gather the continual jarring from closing the hood by allowing it slam shut eventually creates fractures in various places in addition to bugs/birds/stones etc.

I often see grills with the chrome starting to bubble in places and it is really annoying.
I think it is plastic that is chrome dipped and not metal which doesn't help
I have yet to find a decent used one that is in perfect condition
Not sure if they are still available new these days?

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha ingenious as ever Mike.

Bubbling chrome, really?? What's gone on there then, my SEC wears it's original grille which has some loose bits etc, but no bubbling.
Sounds like you're one of the lucky few, Ian.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
luckymike
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing